1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

uber210 managing low mids

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fretlessboy, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    As you guys know i have been running my Shuttle Max12.0 and dual uber210's. I have been going crazy trying to get my low mids under control. Yes, finding the holy grail frequency to get the punch I need. I am with now with Bobby Smith. Reverbnation.com search Bobby Smith Nashville. Anyway, modern country. I went nuts trying to get the punch. Could have been the room... may be time for 12s or 15s. Who knows. Thoughts?

ForumRunner_20120822_180341.

2. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    What do you mean by "under control"?

Shuttle has pretty versatile eq. If you're trying to cut down some frequency you are having a problem finding, one trick is to set the boost/cut knob way high, then fish around the frequency knob until the offending frequency is the worst you can make it sound. Then you've found the offending frequency. Then move the boost/cut knob from boost to cut, to tame that frequency down to where you want it.

It's a little weird, but, making it worse helps find the frequency center, so you can fix it.

Take into account also your bass, strings, style, etc. Some of these things will put a "flavor" on the sound you can't always get rid of, some of it will still be there. Gain structure too.

3. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Ok...control... I am having trouble getting the low mid punch. The bass is an alien lunar 5. Maple neck Nordie p/ soap bar. Pic below. Strung with brand spankin new DR low riders.
    It could have been the room. We are there mon/tues/thurs this next week. I am usually never stumped but i went nuts last night. I guess fighting 3 guitar players will do that.

4. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Try positioning the rig a little closer to, or further away from walls/corners. 3 guitar players better have some mix/frequency slotting already built into their default tone or you'll have hell....lowmid mush.

You guys playing the Nashville bars/cafes where your rig carries the house?

Some of that "modern country" has thin '80's rock guitars with the dreaded "V" eq stacked on top of guitars that are thick in the lower midrange. Doesn't leave you much room to operate.

What is the situation here? What's the 3rd guitar doing? Is it acoustic?

5. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    We are currently rehearsing in north Florida. They all played electric last night. But will be running some bars. Last night was rehearsal 1 and u only took one cab... I mean it is rehearsal in a 24 x 15 room. I was also working on blend which wasn't working. I will find it...this rig killed in every other scenario i have used it in so I will figure it out. Maybe on end getting some port of the floor.

6. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Probably just the room and finding a mix slotting blend that lets all of you be clearly heard. Your rig is more than capable for that scenario.

Try cutting down sounds you don't want instead of just boosting sound you do want....subtractive eq. That goes for everybody, not just the bass.

7. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Watch the overall volume level too. After a point, the cumulative effect of all your sound will just plain over-run the room. Turning anything up, no matter what it is, will make it harder to hear, not easier. You don't have to play timid quiet, but backing off the overall volume will make everything easier to hear. If any singers are having to strain, or eat the mic to be heard, the answer is to turn the instruments down, not the vocals up.

8. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    The drummer has already been fired. So new guy Monday. I will just get more vocal about volume

9. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    I will play with cab placement. That will be a good start. And the mid controls will get played with a lot more.

10. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Was the drummer firing over dynamics/excessive volume or something else?

In practice, everybody has to pretty much balance volume with the drums. If they're already too loud for the room, it just makes everything else too loud too.

11. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    That sums it up. New drummer next week. He is supposedly a lot more co trolled which should help.

12. Port position doesn't mattee, but i would be aligning all your drivers vertically. It will get the drivers closer to your ear for one. Reduce comb filtering. Increase dispersion. And should make your mids more audible.

13. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    True. My though of standing on end is subtracting some low end coupling from the floor. The thing is the volume has to be controlled . That will help s lot.

14. Step 1, rotate the cabs so the drivers are vertical. GB marketing dept made them put the name plates on the wrong way.

15. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    On end is much better

16. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    I found the control with the low mid control on the f.e.t. channel...punchy

17. 5StringPocket

5StringPocket Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Texas
    Nice. Those Uber 210's are quality cabs. Vertical stack with a little low mid boost (maybe around 150 Hz?)... I'll bet that punches well and slots nicely in the mix. Glad it's working out for you.

18. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Strangely i have more control with 1 driven harder than 2 cruising

19. 5StringPocket

5StringPocket Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Texas
    That's understandable when two is more than needed for the venue. I think when you're driving one harder there is a bit more saturation and less headroom available so the dynamics are a little more forgiving. Two cruising is like try to drive a 500 hp Corvette smoothly in stop and go traffic...

20. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I assume you are doing this by now when using two cabs:

210array.

What is your bass and pre EQ like? I agree you can reach a point when a room just won't give a "dry" enough bass tone without getting the total volume down. Seems like you might check to be sure you aren't scooping the mids somewhere in the signal chain.