Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Uberjam

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by td1368, Apr 26, 2002.

1. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    Has anyone heard the latest John Scofield CD Uberjam. The bassist is Jesse Murphy. Really some awesome funky grooves. Anyone have any additional info on Murphy? or any other CDs he played on?

2. Arjan

Arjan

Apr 18, 2002
    I have the cd, it's very cool. Especially the song Uberjam is the best on the disc.

3. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I really like Uberjam too!.......Very cool grooves!

4. Uberjam is very cool. I didn't really like his previous funk-flavored albums. In fact, if I were to base an opinion on his last "funky" album (can't remember the name of it), I wouldn't have bothered picking this one up. But based on a recommendation, I did pick it up and indeed, it proved to be better, at least to me. On this one, the band really nails the groove (the rhythm section is brand new) and Scofield's outside funk playing sounds more relentless.

5. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    Alexssandro,
    I'm not that familar with John Scofield. Have you listened to A Go-Go. That has Medeski, Martin and Wood backing him up. I know he has some smoother jazz type stuff.
    I just thought the rhythm sections on some of his recent releases were pretty good.

Anyway Enough about guitarists. Any info on Jesse Murphy? Other bands or recordings he's played on?

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    His last release before Uberjam wasn't really supposed to be funk from what I understand. It was more straightahed. However I thought "Bump" was pretty good. I wasn't all that into A-Go-Go but it was ok. (and I am a HUGE Medeski Martin and Wood fan)

brad cook

7. only sorta on topic, but Sco has a record called Loud Jazz that's pretty smokin' - him and Dennis Chambers, Gary Grainger, and guest appearance by George Duke. Its a killer!

8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Just to hang on hijacking this thread - there's a live album called Pick Hits Live with Grainger and Chambers which kicks booty - at least for me. Very, very tight and powerful.

9. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    Don't worry about the thread. I like to here about other musicians worth checking out.

10. chris griffiths

chris griffiths

Aug 20, 2002
    nashville tn
    Endorsing artist: Gallien Krueger
    he's an interlochen cat