Ubuntu convert with some questions (still)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Nyarlathotep, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Inactive

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    So, I tried Ubuntu's Studio flavor, and while it was nice, most of it I'll never use. Which brings me to the reason I have fallen in love with Ubuntu:

You can REALLY streamline a system.

My laptop "streamlined" under windows took up like 17GB in OS/Programs. Ubuntu, with the same apps? 3G. Basically Audacity/Hydrogen for audio/drums, GIMP for pics, Avast for AV, Opera for browser, and OpenOffice for word/excel stuff (that I never use)

Replace Hammerhead for Hydrogen and AVG for AV and you have my old windows selections. Im still in shock. My laptop loads and runs better.

The only things that are bugging me are:

1) picture uploading to photobucket. Flash seems to have some issues. The pics upload, but the uploader just sits there. Im a little concerned about this since I think Soundclick uses a similar uploader. I have flash 10 thru the add/remove utility

2) I chose Avast over Avira simply cus it was DL deb file->install. Simple. I couldn't find anything like that for Avira. If anyone has any suggestions or instructions for a good FREE antivirus for Ubuntu, tell me :D Also, does Avast run as a shield to prevent viruses or do I have to manually scan every so often?

3) Spyware. Don't know if Avast deals with it, or any other malware stuff. Suggestions would be really nice :D

Other than that, I can't wait to do some recording and such :hyper:

Maybe even just hook up the GT-10B via usb and see what happens.

2. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Inactive

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    The photobucket loader has been like that for ubuntu and Windows for me, maybe photobucket itself.

I use the stock virus junk on ubuntu, it works well as far as I can tell.

3. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Are viruses an issue with Linux at all?

4. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Inactive

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Interesting. I might check out the reg virus stuff too. Avast isn't a resident shield, says so in the help window.

I dunno. I don't think they'd have virus stuff if it wasn't at least a small issue.

5. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Inactive

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    I think there is not a lot of viruses for linux, plus ubuntu asks for a password before you do anything, eliminating the possibility of something installing without your knowledge.

6. daystcity

daystcity

Mar 23, 2008
    Where am I?!?!?
    Don't worry about virus's, just be aware of what's on your system. If something asks for your password and you don't know exactly what it is, don't give it, do some research. Programs accessing important files can't just run in the backround in linux, they have to have your permission. The anti-virus software IIRC actually only prevents you from accidentally giving your windows buddies virus's through e-mail and such. You can download some virus's on your computer and look at them if you really want to :) .

To put it shortly, there are virtually no spyware/malware programs for linux, and if there are, they have to have your permission to run, :eyebrow: . The only problem I've ever had is when I didn't know about these: http://ubuntuforums.org/announcement.php?f=331

Read up and have fun!

7. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    NJ
    I've been using Ubuntu exclusively for about a year now, and I don't even think about viruses or spyware. I wouldn't waste the processor cycles on antivirus software for Ubuntu.

8. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Inactive

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Interesting info. Thanks. So basically if the permission window comes up without you doing something like installing something, assume its bad?

Im pretty much gonna stay away from coding of any sort, and was looking for a streamlined OS that I could customize with just the progs I want.

Pretty much found that with Ubuntu. That Add/Remove thing is AWESOME. I wish windows had that. I only had to search up how to get the lame encoder for audacity: "sudo apt-get install libmp3lame0" if anyone wants to know. Its prolly in the Add/Remove, like flash, but I couldn't find it.

9. daystcity

daystcity

Mar 23, 2008
    Where am I?!?!?
    Don't assume it's bad, in most if not all cases it's good, if you have no idea what it is, I wouldn't type it in, but that has never happened to me, ever. If you're installing something, by all means install it, don't go paranoid on me! :) I got forkbombed, just reinstalled and was fine, that was me being stupid, not even a virus or anything. Don't fret about viruses or spyware or malware, just enjoy and you'll be fine.

edit: oh, and check synaptic when add-remove fails, you used the command for it, but the gui is easier for newbs, even had 64bit flash for me on there! It's probably called package manager on your system, check it out! :)

10. MadMan118

MadMan118

Jan 10, 2008
    Vallejo, CA
    With viruses and all that such with Linux its like when smallpox came to the Americas but in reverse. Most viruses are written for Windows OS's so when they come across a Linux system there's a big moment of *** on the viruses end.
    As for the photobucket, Ubuntu and Flash have never been able to play nice so there's always some issue there, it seems to vary by the site and about a billion other factors that I'm missing. Also, hit up the Ubuntu forums to see what the geeks over there have cooked up.
    As for anti virus I'm not really sure I do all my Ubuntu security stuff myself.

11. gumtown

gumtown

May 7, 2007
    New Zealand
    For this to work on Linux, the Boss GT-10B driver needs to be built into the ALSA Audio system, which i believe is coming soon. For now you have to use an external device for Audio & Midi.

The Linux variant i use is G-OS (good OS) http://www.thinkgos.com/index.html
    which does a nice Mac Leopard look-a-like desktop.

There is a Linux GT-10B patch editor, check the link below.:D

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021