1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

UFC 74: Couture vs. Gonzaga

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tomis17, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Couture wins by knockout

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. Gonzaga wins by knockout?

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. Couture wins by decision?

4 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Tomis17

Tomis17

Jan 21, 2007
    Wisconsin
    What is your prediction?

2. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    Fedor with 74% of the vote.

;)

I say Gonzaga. He's far more energetic than Tim Silvia, but just as strong and large. Plus far better flexibility than Silvia. Coture outclassed Silvia by far, but I dunno if he's got the gas tank to endure Gonzaga's attack. You KNOW he's gonna be on such a vicious hungry attack, after his performance against CroCop. He won't see Coture as the respected veteran that he is, he's gonna look at him with malicious intentions! It'll be a nasty brawl. No fancy-pants technique about it. BRAWL.

3. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I'm saying Couture. Everyone bets against him and he comes and pulls it out of the bag. You can never count him out. Gonzaga is just a tool who managed to fluke his way forward. If he gets the belt, I'll groan, as the world of MMA takes another massive blow in a year that has been mostly utterly dire.

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I really don't think you can count either of these guys out but I lean towards Gonzaga. Gonzaga showed that he and his trainers can craft a very good gameplan and you know that Gonzaga is willing to put in the training. He said in an interview after Crocop that the training was so hard he cried at two different times. Plus he's got the age, the mobility and a well-balanced skillset.

Still, though.. you can't count Couture out.

bc

5. This is a tricky one. Brad brings up some good points on Gonzaga.

But it's always hard for me to go against Couture. He is such a student of the sport. When he commentates, you can see him pick guys apart and say exactly what their weak points are. He is tough as nails and a true pro.

This should be good...

6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    What are you talking about? This year has been amazing.

Some of the greatest title upsets have happened this year. The only thing I'm really pissed about is that Serra and Hughes aren't fighting for AGES. Which means that GSP will probably have at least 1 more fight if not 2 after Kos (if he wins, god willing!) before he gets a title shot again, because if Serra and Hughes goes down in December, then Serra won't have to defend again (or, if he loses, Hughes won't have to defend) so early so GSP probably won't get a title shot till next March or April.

A situation I'd be happy to see is Hughes win the title back, GSP trample Kos, then Karo, then have to face Serra again and then finally GSP vs. Hughes III! Oh my god. I and II were both such amazing fights.

However, I just saw something that distressed me greatly. MATT WIMAN has a fight at UFC76. I can't believe it! I hate that guy. Why the hell isn't Joe Lauzon or Nate Diaz or someone fighting? **** Matt Wiman.

7. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    Serra won't lose the belt he'll keep it till he decides to retire.

As for Randy. I have like 700 ePoints on him so he better win! :D

8. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    Exactly what Brad said. Gonzaga is the only man I've ever seen come into a fight with CroCop and execute a completely perfect, neutralizing gameplan. He had CroCop's number, and it was stunning.

I totally see his camp building a target-specific training regimen for him, just like before. The man ain't dumb. Watch tape, make notes of all weaknesses, and execute a gameplan.

Couture is old but still tough. Gonzaga should come out with a distance-strike first round to ugly him up with jabs and long kicks and kicks to Randy's lead leg. Round two should be pounding him into the cage wall and just blasting, and round three should be smothering Randy on the ground with size advantage and ground-n-pound.

9. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I'd say the UFC squeezing the life out of anything they can get their hands on was pretty bad for MMA. Pride bought out you say? Former glory reinstated? Whats that, "stripped back and scaled-down?". Mr White, are you retarded?...thought so!

10. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Man, Pride was bankrupt and Zuffa bought their asses out. Would you rather they have passed on the deal and then not signed the AMAZING fighters from Pride?

Sure, it sucks that such a huge organization fell, but now it'll be the best vs. the best all the time. Come on, 75 is going to be the Pride and UFC LHW unification bout between Rampage and Henderson! How amazing is that?

11. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I wouldn't have minded seeing Pride brought back to former glory instead of having it's top fighters scrapping away like bums on those dreadful UFC productions!

12. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    My brother totally believes that Gonzaga's victory was only because CroCop is (sadly I have to admit this) a one-trick pony who's defenseless in a grappling match on the ground, and Gonzaga got lucky with that knockout kick. I saw Gonzaga circling CroCop keeping his left kick at bay and a very energy-efficient ground game to keep CroCop suppressed. This is the first time we've been strongly divided over a fight. We're usually on the same page with our logic and observations on fighters, even when completely wrong.

And I have a gig to play this Saturday night. BOOOOO!!!!!

13. Tomis17

Tomis17

Jan 21, 2007
    Wisconsin
    3 more days!!!!!!!! I can't wait to see this :eek:

14. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    Ima ask the bar if they can order the event.

15. Dan Molina

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
  16. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
    i guess i'm the only one who thinks gonzaga is a fluke. i think randy will have his hands full, since even randy himself has admitted to having difficultly with bjj fighters. gonzaga did have a nice plan against cro-cop, but it was a lucky kick! its not like he dominated for 3 rounds or completely crushed him......
    randy wins in the second, by referee stoppage- punches

17. Dan Molina

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    Yup I agree. Plus I don't think Cro Cop was in the right frame of mind for his fight with Gonzaga.

18. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Gonzaga was in control on the ground. It's hard to say which kicks and punches in UFC are "lucky" and which aren't. It looked more like a well-executed kick to me.

bc

19. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
    not too far off i might say! :D

gonzaga was completely dominated, and when he was crying about needing a quick stop because he couldn't see i knew he was done for......

20. Dan Molina

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    I knew Gonzaga was overrated. This just solidified it in my mind.