UFOs?? Yay or Nay?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Stupidnick, Jan 30, 2003.

1. yay

61 vote(s)
  2. nay

33 vote(s)
  3. I dont care

16 vote(s)
  4. They are all carrots wraped in tin foil

19 vote(s)
  1. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    Hmm im looking at Ufo Pictures on area51Zone website.
    This got me wondering, what are yalls opinions on UFOs?

I think its top secret government stuff. Although I do think it could be errr little critters of space. :D
    I think alot of those 3 lighted triangle shaped flying objects are F117s or maybe B-2s (haven't seen the lighting configuration of a b-2 so i could be wrong about b-2s).
    So what do yall think?
  2. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I don't know about the Area 51 stuff, but it would be very stupid to think that in this whole universe, Earth is the ONLY planet that can sustain life.
  3. there's this big underground tunnel. it leads from washington D.C. all the way to texas. and you know what? they smuggle UFOs through there.
  4. The owner of the rehearsal rooms is heavily into that stuff. I'm a electronics tech and he asks me some odd ball questions like "i need a magnet with only a north pole" "why?" "cause i want to make a UFO, i saw another one last monday"

*shakes head*

I'll believe it when i see it.

I believe in paranormal though... that i have seen on more than one occasion.

5. UFO sightings are soooooo trendy! I mean come on if they did exist why haven't I see one yet??? 4Q!
  6. And scientists and astronomers pick up the slightest woble in space and its all over the news and yet my owner sees these whopping spaceships floating above his house.......

7. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    And how many radio waves have you seen lately? :)

Just kidding FDB.

I think Woodchuck hit the nail on the head.

8. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

9. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    I think.. venus could have some life..
    my reason is.. scientist think its too hot for anything to live, cause its so close to the sun.

well.. could a polar bear live in say Brazil?? or Mexico??
    Its climate adjustment. Im sure theres some kind of weird creature that weve' never thought of that could live in a climate like that.
  10. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Side thought...

How come these beings always have to be smarter than us? can't there be a bunch of dumbass's, running around slapping each other on the butt and killing things with thier bare hands on some other planet? They are always smarter, nad have huge heads and eye's. i would belive, if they were not such a cliche.
  11. People see plenty of things they have trouble identifying. I've seen one or two myself.

As far as what those things actually are goes, I think a little sensible use of Occam's Razor is a good idea.
  12. On a technical level do you think it is ever possible to designing possibly build a craft of some sort, a craft capable of such travel. possibly that doesnt use jet propulsion?

13. I tend to support this idea! Have aliens been here - possibly! Are they still here - possibly, probably depends where they first landed! If they came tro Glasgow at first , they maybe got the fright of their lives and won't be back for a while;) :D
  14. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Regardless of whether or not there is life elsewhere, the physics of other beings coming here to our planet is basically impossible. At least if you want to accept the current age of the universe, distance of other stars/galaxies etc etc...it just couldn't happen.

15. Well ,for physics as we understand it today - but what if a race more advanced with a better understanding of physics existed. Impossible - that's a bit strong, highly improbable - that seems more likely!
  16. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I'm with Woodchuck, there has to be life elsewhere in the Universe.

I'm also quite open to the possibility that it has visited us. I used to be really into the whole UFO thing, but it's very difficult to know what to believe.

I'm not gonna deny the possibility completely, but do you know just how hot Venus is? I don't remember exact figures, but it's hundreds of degrees centigrade. It's a lot more than the difference between the Arctic and Brazil. Venus has the greenhouse effect - big style - it has very thick clouds covering it (when you see pictures of Venus that's what you see, I believe, the clouds not the surface) - so the heat doesn't escape. It also has a very very thick atmosphere. I read that walking on the surface of Venus would be like walking at the bottom of a swimming pool.

But, I'm not gonna deny any possibilities - who knows what kind of life could exist in different kinds of conditions? "It's life Jim, but not as we know it.." :D

Maybe basically impossible going by Physics as we understand it currently. But do you really think we know all there is to know about physics? Do you really think we know enough to say that it is impossible?
  17. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

This is just common sense - they'd have to be smarter than us to get here - we don't know how to get to them!! :rolleyes:
  18. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Because if they weren't smarter, how would they manage to get here? :p

EDIT: Will ya look at that? Me and Bruce were posting the same thing at the same time... now that's scary :D I know, maybe Bruce is an alien. Bruce, are you an alien?
  19. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

That's just rubbish!! There are stars within a few light years and there's nothing in Physics to stop aliens from there, coming here - it might take them a few decades or longer, but they could grow food along the way and use solar-power - we have all the technology now to reach other stars.

The only thing is we don't know if there are any aliens out there and whether or not we would have a completely wasted journey - 50 years and billions of dollars for nothing?