1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ugh, Another eBay/PayPal Question:

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Steph Dawe, Apr 9, 2006.

1. Call me stupid, call me a woman, call me a stupid woman, but this stuff's getting confusing quickly.

I've always wanted to buy things from the internet, and finally I got around to setting up both an eBay and a PayPal account, being 18 and able. There's no money in my PP account yet as I've only just set it up and everything, so I've yet to buy anything, and so money issues aren't my question. Well, maybe they are.

Anyway, my question. The seller of what I want has on the webpage for the product something like "use PayPal to buy with a credit card". I've set up my PP account with a bank account (a secondary one, so don't panic - I'm not that silly); does this mean that he'll only accept payments with a credit card, or is that just how it's done generally?

I thought that payments through the internet with PayPal didn't need a credit card, hence the whole idea of PayPal.

Sorry to post another stupid internet shopping question, but I'm a stupid woman.

2. You are correct, you don't need a credit card to use PayPal. The deal is that Paypal can handle transactions from people who do not have Paypal. So basically when you click the "buy with Paypal" icon, if you have a Paypal account you can use that to buy whatever, but if you don't have a Paypal account, Paypal will handle a credit card transaction.

Make sense?

3. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I don't think it would matter if you use a credit card or your bank account as the payment goes through PayPal and not your account or credit card directly. PayPal's a third party, see?

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    He's telling you that you can pay with a credit card by going through PayPal. I've done that. I have no way of accepting a credit card payment if you were to buy a bass from me and had to use your credit card. I am not a business. So, I could tell you to go through PayPal to pay me with your credit card.

-Mike

5. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    stupid woman

:bag:

:D

6. Ah.

What I probably should have mentioned before is that I don't have a credit card, and that's why I got a little confused and panicky. It's starting to make more sense.

Sorta.

:spit: :p

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Definitely don't buy anything from eBay then!! :meh:

I do have a credit card and have bought many many things via the internet - maybe in the thousands by now - but have never even considered using eBay and cannot see the attraction.

If I want to buy something - I don't want to get involved in an auction - I want to buy from shops, retailers etc. who are likley to be there if I have a query and can give me some customer service.

I don't want to get involved in some kind of bidding war with a load of anonymous individuals, who could have any kind of agenda and open myself to all kinds of fraud...:confused:

Just asking for trouble IMO...

8. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    I buy quite a lot of stuff from ebay, most of the items I couldn't have sourced elsewhere. I also get excellent customer service from the sellers I deal with... The feedback system works well. A seller with 100% positive feedback from a lot of sales isn't going to rip you off.

Neither do I, so I don't.

How I bid depends on the item. If it's something I know won't generate much interest, or that I'm not desperate for, I'll bid what I'd feel happy about paying and forget about it. If I win, that's nice, if I don't, chances are there will be another put up there soon.

If it's something that kids or collectors bid on, I'll wait until the last minute then bid what I would be happy paying. Otherwise you tend to end up in a bidding war with an idiot who doesn't understand money.

If it's something that costs a fair bit of money, like a bass, I'll also hold off and watch how the bidding goes, checking the other bidders' feedbacks out. If I suspect there's shilling going on, I bail out.

If you bid sensibly, you're pretty safe from fraud. If you pay by paypal, you have a means to get the money back if things go wrong.

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I just can't be bothered with all that - I have never had a problem with buying from online retailers - I really see no need for eBay at all as a buyer...:confused:

I never attended auctions before the internet existed - I don't see why I would want to start now...:meh:

However - that's just me and not relevant here - my main point was that - OK if you know what you're doing - and are prepared to do all that research and be very careful... then I can quite believe that some people do alright out of it...BUT - if as Steph seems to be saying, this kind of thing confuses you - then you are just likely to get ripped off and need to avoid it all costs!! :meh:

10. I wondered how long it would take you to show up. :D

I agree with you, Bruce - however, not everything can be bought from a retailer. Not that I'll be buying a lot of rare stuff, but if I ever wanted to, you know. There's a neon CSI bar sign for sale somewhere that I don't think you can get anywhere else, and what about the auctioned "authentic replica" House cane?

One of the main attractions of eBay for me is old video games and dvd's that aren't sold in shops any more, or at all. Just today I found a complete box set of Jeeves & Wooster that's just begging me to buy it... :D

Very rarely - perhaps even rarer than J&W box sets - would I bid in an auction. I'd more than likely prefer to buy it straight away. So in that regard, there's not much to worry about.

11. Bruce Lindfield

Hmmm...well I have never wanted to fill my home with junk....;)

I'm usually throwing it out as fast as I can!! :)

12. Yes, that's right Bruce. And the millions of people who do use it are idiots bent on the destruction of society as we know it blah blah blah blah blahzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

;)

13. Bruce Lindfield

I think I have an answer now that has previously eluded me though - so while I am constantly trying to de-clutter and get rid of junk, I suppose I can't understand the impulse of some people to fill their homes with it!! ;)

14. I suppose one man's junk is another man's... err.. umm.. not-junk.

I think..!

15. Bruce Lindfield

Not mine - every so often I bundle it up, put it in the back of my car and take it to the local council tip!!

16. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    What's this? Bruce ebay-bashing? Who'da Thunk it?

17. Bruce Lindfield

I also hate "Car Boot Sales" and most other types of auction as well - for people with too much time and/or money!! IMO :meh:

Mostly - I just find the "bargain-hunting" culture - that seems to pervade Britain these days - intensely irritating!!

18. Bruce.. we know.

19. Bruce Lindfield

Did you notice that the TV programme "Grumpy Old Men " is returning to the BBC....;)

[​IMG]

Will Self is my hero!! ;)

20. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Cool! :)