1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

UGH! Another "help me pick an amp" post

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by milhouse, Dec 7, 2006.

1. milhouse

milhouse

Nov 29, 2006
    New Albany, IN
    Greetings! I've been lurking around awhile and finally set up an account the other day. I've recently got back into playing in a group setting and need a new combo amp. I've been out of the loop for about 10 years. I need something portable and I don't want to spend much more than $500.
    I pretty much pick a tone and stick with it. Versatility ain't my thing! Warm and round for me. I bought the new Squire Vintage Fretless about two weeks ago and strung it with Rotosound 88's. I'm LOVING fretless. (The squire was a test) I'll be staying fretless in the future, but will probably upgrade basses, although the squire has been fine so far.
    I'd never heard of Ashdown prior to this forum, but I've read some good things and the tone comments seem similar to what I want. Should I go 210 and 115? I'm leaning towards the 15 because I like low and round and don't need bright, but most people on here are recommending the 210. I figure I can add on later (another thing I like about the Ashdown). Right now I just need to keep up with a drummer and a couple guitars volume wise. Any input or other recommendations will be appreciated.

Oh yeah-There's no place local for me to hear these. Very few choice to hear anything actually. :(

2. Zakk007

Zakk007

Jun 27, 2006
    Either would be great choices. The 15 will give you more low end so if you like a deep rumble thats the one, if you want a faster response and more highs then its the 210. Naturally both together are the ultimate balance as you say. So get one then add an extension cab later.

3. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Check out Ebay. I just saw an Eden combo, a dc210xlt, for something close to your price. (N.B., I have no relationship with the seller.) Talkbass classified Ads are great! TB is a good place to buy. :hyper:

However, IMHO, your budget seems a bit low. If you can go closer to $700, you can consider a used SWR super redhead, which is one major amp. :cool:

However, I found a powerful combo (SWR workingman's 15) big, heavy, bulky and inflexible. I think going modular is way better, and ultimately costs less if you want to change things. :ninja:

1) get a GOOD POWERFUL (reselleable) head
    2) get a top notch (or close to it) 1st cab: either 2x10, 2x12, or 1x15
    3) buy used

just my .$02 Good hunting and welcome to the show! :D

4. milhouse

milhouse

Nov 29, 2006
    New Albany, IN
    Thanks for the input. I am leaning more towards the 15. But now, I am thinking about the head and cab set up. (thanks Jim :eyebrow: ) My budget is a little flexible. A bass upgrade would just be pushed back. Most of the combos I'd seen were around $400-$600, so that's what I was planning on. Hmmm. Add a warm rumbly head/cab setup to the possiblities... Is the Ashdown combo still the way to go?

5. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    For what it is worth, I have a good, but heavy SWR Son of Bertha 1x15, but way prefer the sound of my 2x10 Goliath, Jr. I like an old school rounded and fairly bassy electric tone with growl (although I also do lots of other sounds). Think R&B, Blues, Motown. My 2x10 is also much better for my upright, and is good for when I have the fretless neck on my 71 p-bass. :eyebrow:

It is not that there is anything wrong with the SOB, in fact it handles a 5-string way better than my particular 2x10, and pairs ideally with my 4x10. However, my 2x10 just has more punch than the 1x15...ahhh punch...that somewhat subjective impression that bass notes have a stronger, quicker, and darker attack, and also more even sustain in the initial part of their amplitude envelopes, or something like that. The punch factor matters with fretless and upright, too. It sounds more natural....Uh-oh there's a minefield, excuse me. :p

Why do I hear more punch in my 2x10. Don't know. EQ? Lighter fundamental? Cab induced compression??? Maybe. Less mass in each speaker in a 2x10 equaling faster acceleration/deccleration of the speaker mechanics?? Hmmm...seems unlikely we could hear that, so I am just going to leave that to the speaker experts and psychoacousticians. :ninja:

However, the 2x10 gets my vote as a great all around (often lighter and more compact) cab config. If you get a really good one, like an Eden, Bergie, Epifani, Aguilar, Accugrove, etc. etc., you are set. Such things bought used come close to most of your budget, but remember the old adage, "Buy once, Cry once." :crying:

---which to me means that if you get something good, but costly, you only cry about the price once, rather than cry every time your cheaper lower quality gear makes you unhappy due to its poor performance or outright failure. Just ask beloved TBer, Tom Bowlus! :D

6. Flintc

Flintc

Aug 15, 2006
    Alabama
    Two reasons, primarily. One is, the 1x15 is a subwoofer which isn't directional and which has its biggest impact well away from the box itself. The other is, your ear hears the sound amplitudes put out by 10" speakers much better. Has to do with the size of your eardrum. A 15" speaker just can't do nearly as clean a job of producing the higher frequencies people hear much better.

For good all-around bass sound, the 10" speakers are most versatile. The more ten-inchers the better. But the 15" speaker has its use, for frequencies up to 100Hz. Those are the ones that hit you in the chest...

7. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Now you got me rollin' with the yocks. Nondirectional sound that does not follow the inverse square law other ported speakers are roughly bound to. I mean, they all are the loudest right at the closest distance you can put your ear. But somehow these magic fifteens are like ventriloquists would be if they could be: louder over there than where the voice was actually formed. Amazing.

And though they are non-directional they evidently have reservationas at The Chest. Its too bad other frequencies have to go elsewhere. How does that work anyway?

Naw. I don't really need to hear any more cliches. I'm working on the brown sound right now.

8. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
  9. milhouse

milhouse

Nov 29, 2006
    New Albany, IN
    Ahhh Willis. I had forgotten about them. I made the circuit when I was looking for a fretless (and only found two Washburns). I'll see what they have. Most places only had a couple personal practice sized amps. I need something a step up from that.