1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ugh...bass being delivered tomorrow, BUT...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vinnie Boombatz, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Banned

May 26, 2010
    ...I played one today that was pretty amazing.

I have a very nice 3-tone sunburst NOS 2015 Fender American Standard Jazz bass that I scored for a great price from a Guitar Center halfway across the country. It was one of the few new American Standards that they have left in their system. They supposedly found it in their warehouse a couple months ago after selling what they thought was the last American Standard they had in their inventory, but discovered they were wrong, and only very recently put it out on the racks, meaning it's been sitting, virtually unmolested in the box. It's a beautiful bass (from the photos they sent me, really light at 8.5lbs, and told it plays like a dream, had a nice, fairly dark piece of rosewood for the fretboard, but won't know until it gets here tomorrow when it's delivered.

Today Played a new Fender American Pro Jazz bass at my local Guitar Center and was blown away by it. Super light, even off the rack and with a bit too much relief in the neck and slightly high action it felt great and played like butter. The entire bass literally would vibrate no matter what string you played, and was just something I advent experienced with a bass before. But, I'm not really into the boring black body with mint guard and bland/pale maple neck & fretboard.

With all that said though, I'm half tempted to plop down the difference for the American Pro if the NOS American Standard doesn't work out (but fingers crossed that is THE one.) The 3-tone sunburst with a rosewood board is pretty much my favorite look, and for me, doesn't get any classier than that and is just the look that makes me want to pick up the bass every moment I get a chance to. Even though the black American Pro I played today was one of the nicest I ever played, I feel like it would be lame not to pass it up just because it's not the color I really want, but it just looks boring as heck to my eye.

First world problems, right?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
    Linnin likes this.
  2. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Worry not. You will like.

sbpark likes this.
  3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Ha!

The one that got away.....

Man, feel and tone always win out with me. Bar none the best playing and sounding bass I ever played was a refinished '63 P bass that looked like it had been dragged behind a truck. I'm still kicking myself for not buying it and I rarely play 4 strings.

BUT, play the other one when it comes in. It might speak to you. But if the tone and playability don't GRAB you like the black one obviously did, I would get the black one.

Slap a black guard on it and join the black n maple club here. Black on black with a maple board is also a killer classic look. Just lose the white guard.
    fender-standard-jazz-bass-2006-2008-33421.

jmattbassplaya likes this.
  4. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Banned

May 26, 2010
    I thinking of putting a (surprise!)...tort guard on the black one actually.

two fingers likes this.
  5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA

That's a hot look too!
    fender-jazz-bass-1975-nordstrand-2.

sbpark likes this.