ugh..flying finger problem on RIGHT hand

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Matthew Neesley, Aug 31, 2018.

1. Matthew Neesley

Matthew Neesley

Aug 31, 2018
    I have developed a hardcore flying finger problem, but it's my RIGHT hand, the index finger. I can pluck single notes repeatedly with that finger ONLY and not have this problem...but when I try and go back to playing by alternating index and middle fingers, the index finger (but NOT the middle finger) flies way out and completely ruins my playing. Anyone out there have any specific advice for how to deal with this?

2. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    Welcome to TB. :)

The only solution that I can come up with would be to...slowly and deliberately ...spend five minutes three or four time a day alternating the fingers, paying close attention to the index, making sure it "behaves itself". Eventually in time it should "get the message". Little and often would be best with this exercise. Five minutes at a time is better than a half an hour in one go.

Hope this helps. :bassist:

Nashrakh likes this.
  3. It sounds as though you are striking the strings with your right hand fingers. I would suggest an alternative to this that yields a more mellow sound, and requires far less energy to do.

Now this is easy to show, but rather difficult to describe, so bear with me.

You are going to “rub” the string, rather than strike it. Lay the pad of your finger down on the string, so the entire finger is parallel to the bass body. Now contract the finger, rubbing the string as your pad move up toward the ceiling. If you do this right, the string vibrates in a vertical manner. When done correctly, it kind of looks like your hand is riding a bike.

fearceol likes this.
  4. Seanto

Seanto

Dec 29, 2005
    USA
    Gary Willis exercise - play the shortest note possible in the following fashion. Pluck with index, immediately mute note with middle. Pluck with middle, immediately mute note with index. Rinse and repeat on different strings. This will help to get you used to keeping your fingers close to the string and can actually improve your plucking speed as well.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021