1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ugh, I dropped my bass

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by JupiterAdept, Apr 28, 2009.

1. JupiterAdept

JupiterAdept

Aug 5, 2005
    Holland
    And it seems to be broken. It fell behind me, so I couldn't see anything, but it seems to have hit the side of the back and it probably received a blow to the headstock.

The crack has gotten a little bit larger over the past 3 days, so I tuned down all strings down a major third. Was that the right thing to do?

[​IMG]

At first I hoped it was just chipped paint (I know it's not paint xD), but the neck is now bent sideways a little bit, which causes the action on my G string to grow.

How bad is it? I know I should take it to someone, but I don't know when. How much will it cost?

2. Dogbertday

Dogbertday Commercial User

Jul 10, 2007
    SE Wisconsin
    Blaine Music LLC
    When?... now...

Cost? ...find out when you get there... like getting your car fixed you can get a quote

3. JupiterAdept

JupiterAdept

Aug 5, 2005
    Holland
    It actually looks a lot worse in this picture than in real life. It's only small. I don't have a driver's license, so I'll need to have someone take me. I don't know where to go, but I'll figure that out. It really will take a few days, though.

How about the detuning? Is that alright? Is it enough?

4. bassist14

bassist14

Oct 17, 2005
    Germany
    yes
    no

i would tune it down completely, and show the bass an experienced luthier asap.
    it could develop more damage if the neck breaks out completly.
    if i am wrong, the only bad thing that would happen is the soundpost falling down

5. I see the crack but I can not tell where in the bass the pic was taken.

I would detune it and take it to a luthier ASAP before the crack keeps on spreading.

6. JupiterAdept

JupiterAdept

Aug 5, 2005
    Holland
    Ah, right, the picture is taken below the fingerboard, where the neck meets the body. The crack is on the side of the neck, a pretty critical point.

Ok, I'll tune down some more. It's hard to find experienced luthiers without having to cross the whole country..

Thanks for the replies!

On a side note, the sound got darker, especially on the G string xD. Maybe it's the higher action.

7. bassist14

bassist14

Oct 17, 2005
    Germany
    where is "hollang"?

8. bassist14

bassist14

Oct 17, 2005
    Germany
    maybe it´s the detuning...

9. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    +1. Drop the tension on the strings completely. It's better than potentially adding to the damage.

10. JupiterAdept

JupiterAdept

Aug 5, 2005
    Holland
    I meant Holland, your awesome neighbor. I'll correct it now. Weird typo, though.

It's not the detuning causing the action to rise (I don't see how it could). It's the neck bending sideways a little. It was like that before I detuned it.
    I'll go detune her completely tomorrow, and get some insurance papers that might help me.

If the soundpost falls, is it still ok to lay the bass on its back? To put it in a car, I mean.

11. bassist14

bassist14

Oct 17, 2005
    Germany
    you can try to get help here:
    http://www.contrabassen.nl/

12. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Yeah that's okay. Don't worry, I'm sure it will turn out fine. :)

13. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan

Mar 2, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    Definitely wind the strings down completely. A fallen soundpost is the least of your problems right now.

14. MIKMAN

MIKMAN

Mar 4, 2008
    Larisa, Greece
    Since one of my ancestors fought in the battle for the bridge of Arnhem in the last World War i visited Arnhem two years ago. There is a wellknown luthier down there, a good guy who impressed me when i met him . I don't know how far is Arnhem from your place but he will deal with your bass in the best possible way.
    Mike

15. JupiterAdept

JupiterAdept

Aug 5, 2005
    Holland
    Yes, Jürgen Preyer sounds like a really good luthier. I found his website yesterday, and I watched a video of him. It's only an hour drive (which is still half of Holland). Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try to go there as soon as possible.

16. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    I think he was referring to it sounding darker. ;)

17. JupiterAdept

JupiterAdept

Aug 5, 2005
    Holland
    Oh, yes, you're completely right xD. I'm sorry.

Still, it was darker before I detuned it. It could also be because I was playing outdoors the days before, so I got used to playing without pretty room acoustics.

18. JupiterAdept

JupiterAdept

Aug 5, 2005
    Holland
    I have some good news. For me, that is xD.
    I just visited my bass with my dad and he noticed the bridge was misplaced, so he popped it back into place and the action is fine now! Well, it's the same as before,
    which means ridiculously low (LOTS of rattling in lower positions, both arco and pizz).

So, the neck is still in place, thank god. I'll still go to a luthier, to get the crack/chipping looked at and to finally get a decent setup, but I'm not as worried now.
    I know the picture looks terrible, but the crack/chipping is really less than an inch long.