Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ugh...might need help selecting cabs...again..sorry

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mental Octopus, Jan 30, 2004.

1. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    this is like my 20th thread asking for help. oh geez i'm sorry. well here i go.

my rig consists of a RR 4x10 and a RR 1x15 (Mesa). This was my dream rig for the longest time. Now that I have it, the weight issue is becoming pretty serious. I am now in a situation where I have to lug these things up and down stairs constantly...and these things arent very light. Part of me wants to just suck it up and live with the weight, but it's getting really annoying after only 2 days. But the other more sensible part of me wants to trade em in for something a little lighter. The newer Mesa cabs look appealing, so I was thinking of trading at my local dealer for a Powerhouse 4x10 and 1x15. Are there any other cabs I should be considering for funk/chili pepper style music, or should I just shut up carry these RR's around?

2. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Guess I'll start out with the obligatory "Buy a pair of Aguilar GS112s" reply. :)

They're just about as portable as you can get, and quite a few people around here seem to love them.

I was considering buying a pair a while back, but opted for the GS212 (and eventually a GS210 also) instead because the weight doesn't really bother me.

Great cabs, though.

3. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    I actually considered the 12 thing a while ago, but they really didn't do it for me. The 10's and a 15 seem more natural to me.

4. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Avatar CB115H and either a B410 or a B210.

www.avatarspeakers.com

With their prices you could possibly keep your mesa's for big gigs and get a more portable rig for smaller ones.

5. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    i'm extremely wary of buying equipment, especially speaker cabs, that i've never tried myself. that seems like a good idea, but i don't think i can justify having 2 rigs at the same time.

6. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Just a suggestion. I also just got a call today from my friend at GC saying they're blowing out last year's Mesa cabs. $380 for a 1x15, $450 for a 4x10. If I had the money I'd be investing.

7. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    hopefully i can get my hands on those.

anyone know any other lighter weight cabs that would get a similar sound to the mesas?