Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ugh, NOW what...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by McHack, Feb 7, 2006.

1. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I picked up a Yamaha PB-1 off the bay two weeks ago. During shipment, it sustain substantial damage which is going to result in a repair bill which far exceeds the meager purchase price it cost me.

I've got a gig on the 15th, & need to do something FAST.

Any ideas?

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    How close are you to Fremont? You could borrow something from me. I should also be in Columbus on Friday (aren't you in that neck of the woods?), and I could bring a preamp or head down for you to use.

Tom.

3. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Wow, Tom is without a doubt, THE MAN!!!! :bassist:

4. Indeed! :hyper:

5. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Yea, I'm in Columbus, but I couldnt ask you to do that.

6. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    You didn't ask. I offered. :)

And I will be there Friday. :D

Tom.

7. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    McHack...I can testify to Tom's generousity. In fact, I have a crapload of his gear sitting in my house now! Believe me, if he weren't sincere, he wouldn't have offered. He is truly one of the good guys here on Talkbass. I may be wrong, (although I doubt that I am), but I think one of the reasons Tom owns so much neat gear, is he likes to see other bass players reactions when they use it!

8. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    thats pretty awesome. and dude, i just looked at your profile tom. you have SOOOO mcuh stuff. wow. if i owned 1/10 of what u have, i'd b confused as to wut to use just for practicing.

9. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    FWIW, currently, I am using my SWR Baby Blue II for personal practice. :smug:

10. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    Two very enthusiatic thumbs up for Tom.
    Wow.

11. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Tom & Eric Moesle = the two coolest guys I know!

You have PM's Tom.

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    :smug:

but seriously, McH, for a more permanent rig, how much you have to spend? if you liked the yamaha, try out the Thunderfunk. course, if you need a preamp tube, Eden's WT550 is a terrific little head.

i'm sure tom has either for you to test drive. ;)

13. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    In truth, about to move out into my own place... so, I literally only selected the Yamaha based upon the fact that it was a 1u solution & it was cheap, & many folks seemed rather loyal.

Cost, w/ the impending move was key to me.

14. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Believe it or not, you happened to pick two heads that I don't own! :p

I do think highly, though, of both of those heads, and consider them to be very worthy considerations.

Tom.

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    No! really? wow...

16. There's a strange irony to this... but as we both know jokerjkny, no amount of subtle pressure or reverse logic works on Tom. (Personally I can't believe that he hasn't picked up a Millenia preamp yet :p ).

17. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    LOL! In truth, oddio, you've influenced me to pick up quite a number of things! :D I certainly will add the Millennia pre at some point in time. But as for the Thunderfunk and WT-550, while I certainly would not mind owning either one, I have some similar units which I slightly, but consistently, prefer. And of course the Bergantino IP series cabs have obviated my need for a solid state head anyway. :ninja: :D

Tom.

18. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Good grief...what happened to it? Pictures?

19. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    The unit is still over at Abell Audio.

Externally, the box it was shipped in showed no signs of damage & appeared to be taped securely. The amp was in bubble wrap, and foam rubber. PB-1's are pretty heavy, when you consider its size.

The rack mount ear was bent so severely, that it caused the faceplate to bow outwards, away from the innards of the unit, sheering 5 pots off of the board. They dont know where to get parts for this thing, & fixing it would be a hit-or-miss, jury rig proposition.

20. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Bummer! Sounds like a challenge to put it back together...