1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ugh! On of THOSE nights!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by RitchS, Aug 12, 2012.

1. RitchS

RitchS Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2011
    Auburn California
    Just got home from a gig and it was just one of those gigs where you can see the train coming but you just can't seem to get out of the way. First, both guitarist broke strings on both of their guitars, my mic kept clipping out and my rig kept farting out intermittently all night long. So when all these distractions keep popping up it distracts from your performance. The crowd all were happy and dancing, but we could've been so much better.

It's very frustrating to work so hard to put on a good show just to have the gig gods frown upon you.

Ok. I can go to bed now.

2. Raymeous

Raymeous

Jul 2, 2010
    San Diego
    Look at it this way... you got that nightmare out of the way so you should be relatively free and clear from the wrath of the gig gods for about a month or two. ;)

3. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    All of those could have been caused by poor AC power...

4. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Except the strings. That was probably caused by A) Not replacing them often enough or B) poor technique.

At any rate look at it like this. You overcame adversity and did your job well. So maybe the "Gig Gods" were actually smiling on you.

5. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    Tell your guitar players to look into Graphtech bridge saddles.

6. RoadRanger

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Guitar amps sound weak and muddy when undervoltaged so you end up hitting the strings harder and breaking them. Back 30 years ago our band carried two 100 lb voltage regulators for the guitar amps :cool: .

7. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    +1 and if their stage volume was too quiet compared to the drummer/singer/you, they could have just been playing extra hard to be able to hear themselves. It happens to me at church when the sound guy rotation lands on a clueless one (3 out of 5)

8. RitchS

RitchS Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2011
    Auburn California
    Ahh! I sometimes forget you must pay tribute to the gig gods with sweat and broken strings.

This place is fairly new and the power is fine. Four separate circuits on the back line and two at stage front. Just one of those nights we must all endure from time to time.

At least I know we'll kill next show!

9. RoadRanger

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    If the power was fine why was your rig farting out and your vocals clipping?

10. RitchS

RitchS Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2011
    Auburn California
    I'm an electrician and looked at the circuit panel before we set up. If the panel was labeled properly (and it looked like it was) it had plenty of individual circuits and it looked like a fairly new and up to code installation.

I was going over my gear a bit ago, and I think my speaker cable from my head to my cab may be old and feeble. I need to break down and by a speakon to speakon cable. My mic is a 15-17 year old SM58. It's a workhorse that's seen me through hundreds of shows, but nothing lasts forever.