1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ugh sold my bass to a gear flipper

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Swingin, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Meant to ask but did he try the bass PLUGGED in?
    Maybe he wanted to see if the bass would work for him, but after playing it on his rig came to the conclusion that it wasn't the sound he had hoped for?

2. Evanforbass

Evanforbass

Feb 3, 2016
    Denver, CO
    (this was sarcasm, poking at the logic of the op)

buldog5151bass likes this.
  3. Evanforbass

Evanforbass

Feb 3, 2016
    Denver, CO
    (this was sarcasm, poking at the logic of the op)

4. StingRay85

StingRay85

Dec 18, 2011
    I flip cabs, speakers and sometimes amps whenever I see a good opportunity. It helps me to buy other gear, and don't we all have GAS?

mikewalker likes this.
  5. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    That’s viable even with shipping costs?

6. Cliff Colton

Cliff Colton

Nov 7, 2016
    Plan B: Re-list the bass for 30% more than Flipper’s asking price. If it sells, buy the bass back from Flipper for his asking price, and have him ship it to the new buyer. Offer new buyer ‘Free Returns’ if you want to leave open the possibility of sticking it the flipper one more time.

Pretty good plan! Flipper gets his money, op gets more money, and the new buyer gets a great bass. The more important lesson: next time a buyer wants a discount for whatever reason, tell them: “So what... who cares... put on your big boy pants... get over it... why are you entitled to feelings... what rights do you have? It’s not yours.”

HamOnTheCob likes this.
  7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    How do we know the buyer's intent was false?

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    I hope most people understand why that plan sucks.
    :)

Cliff Colton and buldog5151bass like this.
  9. Mark Ambler

Mark Ambler

Nov 18, 2017
    London, UK.
    I thought that was what was implied by the OP, but whatever, this thread is way too long.

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    You can assume that. I wouldn't. He's already in his feelings about the buyer reselling the bass. There are many possible reasons as to why besides the negative assumption.

11. Mark Ambler

Mark Ambler

Nov 18, 2017
    London, UK.
    Sounds pretty clear that the OP thinks the buyer mislead him regarding his intentions for buying the bass, but whatever, stuff happens, and he accepted payment, no laws broken. Maybe seeing his bass up for sale at a higher price annoyed the seller, sure, I can understand that, but nothing to complain about, imo. The new seller might have to wait months to make a sale and may even end up reducing the price, or selling at a loss.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  12. keyofnight

keyofnight

Jun 3, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    Laws are not morals. Sometimes legal things are unjust. (E.g., cheating on your SO isn't illegal, but it's pretty terrible.)

13. Wimsta

Wimsta

Apr 17, 2019
    Sometimes cheating is illegal, but that still is not the point.

I'm really impressed with the number of people who don't think there is any value or expectation for honesty.

I'm especially impressed because of the conclusions some people have made, and the speed they've been reached.

Either the OP was taken advantage or, or believes he was. The point here isn't that it was breach of contract, or that the OP wants to claim damages, because neither of those things were stated. The point is that the OP is disappointed.

14. JZQuantum

JZQuantum Supporting Member

Oct 12, 2008
    Maybe 2 lessons you can take from this...

1. You truly weren't ready to sell your bass. With only 1 exception, I personally was ready to see every bass I sold go to a new home. The exception: I stupidly sold my brand new Modulus Q5 after 15 years of worry-free ownership. Looked like a brand new bass after15 years.

2. You sold it for too little. If he can successfully flip it, it proves you priced it too low or sold it in the wrong marketplace. Try pricing your next bass a little higher and use more than one selling website. Maybe you can get what you are asking next time. Maybe that will help with this feeling you are experiencing.

15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    It would be amazing if this didn't happen so often.

Explain exactly how the buyer was dishonest? No assumptions, actual fact. Because so far I haven't seen it. Have you?
    :D

Example of how the buyer cheated?

You're right, either the OP was taken advantage of or he imagined it.

Disappointment doesn't mean anyone else did anything wrong.

16. Wimsta

Wimsta

Apr 17, 2019
    I can't argue facts not placed into evidence, but clearly others have.

Others have clearly stated that nothing wrong was done despite the implication of the OP.

If someone lies in a business transaction that is not cool, doesn't mean there is recourse but a lie is a lie. Many posters have said "suck it up buttercup" without any need for what did or did not happen. They are capable of arriving at that conclusion solely on the basis of "you agreed to a price."

17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    So... was there a lie? "I really want this bass" could easily be true, just as "Now that I've bought this thing, it's really not a keeper" could be too.

I've bought lots of basses without playing them first. I didn't keep all of them... and don't feel like I've broken any promises.

18. Picton

Picton

Aug 16, 2017
    Reading, MA
    If so, then the REAL point is that life is full of disappointments. And instrument resale is fuller of disappointments than many other aspects of life. Some folks aren’t cut out for it.

I value honesty, but I don’t value whining. Just generally. The OP asked a simple but foolish question, and I’d say for the most part he’s getting a simple answer.

19. Wimsta

Wimsta

Apr 17, 2019
    Making hypotheticals does nothing to provide insight into the ambiguous post in reference. I don't know how else this can be expressed? Either he was lied to, or he believes he was, and there are numerous posters here who have absolutely no expressed problem with the dishonesty, period.

20. Wimsta

Wimsta

Apr 17, 2019
    You're welcome to your takeaway, but your expression here does not reflect prioritizing honesty.

Yes, the simple answer: some people simply don't care about honesty, this is abundantly clear, and I'll keep that in mind should I ever list or make an offer on a bass posted here.