1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ugh sold my bass to a gear flipper

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Swingin, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Mark Ambler

Mark Ambler

Nov 18, 2017
    London, UK.
    I’d say that is a little harsh, the point is that this is the real world and not everyone plays nice, especially where money is concerned. I don’t ‘flip’ gear, but each to their own.

The buyer was hardly going to offer more money and was not under any obligation to not sell the Bass whenever he wanted. Just be glad it was a Bass that was (arguably) sold for less than market value, than a house.

2. Picton

Picton

Aug 16, 2017
    Reading, MA
    Edited. Thought better of it.

Your opinion is just that.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  3. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    I had a black nitro Classic 50s with a maple fretboard, and it showed some all-natural wear. I found an American Standard that was in great shape and that looked, played, and sounded really nice, and bought it. Loved the neck, so I decided I'd sell the black one - a dude offered me a trade for a non-export aerodyne, and I wasn't completely convinced, but I took the trade. A week later, my P bass neck was on the local gear buy-sell-trade site - I recognized it due to the wear, it was definitely my neck.

I couldn't really fault him for it, since technically I was also flipping gear, but dayum, did you have to separate the neck and the body like that? I don't think it is unethical at all, though.

There's another pair of guys I've learned to recognize on the local site - they may be friends, or acquaintances, I have no idea but I'm not suggesting there's any collusion between them, but I've seen recently one guy selling two Squier Classic Vibe jazzes, and then a week later the other guy selling one of them, with a listing price of $50 more than the other guy - he apparently still has it, as the price has dropped from $370 to $250, and is now back up to $300. Same two guys, a few weeks ago, had a Modern Player Tele bass, the one with two mudbuckers, first guy had it listed for a few days before removing the ad, then the other guy posts it at the same price - he again hung onto it for a while, he might still have it.

The second guy - I am familiar with him because I offered to buy a neck from him a while back, and drove the 30 minutes during the work day to meet him at his house, and as I was pulling onto his street, he messaged me and said a dude who was offering him more for it but backed out the day before changed his mind again and was coming to get it. I sincerely hope that deal went sour for both of them.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  4. Wimsta

Wimsta

Apr 17, 2019
    I'm using the English language and logic.

Person says: if a, then b.
    I feel deceived, so I'm pissed.

Numerous responses say: when a, no b.
    When you feel deceived, don't be pissed...

It is the expression of frustration, and many people do not feel that the frustration is justified.

There is literally no room for me to have an opinion on the original claim, we don't even know what was said, inferred, or implied. We only know the OP's experience "miffed."

5. Wimsta

Wimsta

Apr 17, 2019
    You're arguing facts that are not in evidence and disagree with positions not made.

It has only ever been a question of whether or not a person should feel "miffed" when they are deceived in a business transaction, period.

IF it is harsh, then people should take more seriously the implications of condemning the post before they have all/any facts.

It is rather clear that many on the forum would rather blame the seller (ie. victim blame) than admit that honesty is important, and I feel fully justified in my apprehension about future listings and/or sales here.

6. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    It's not about how any of us feel about honesty. It's about a sense of what's important and how one might reasonably respond to what other people do in a transaction. Problem dishonesty is a buyer claiming problems that don't exist and demanding compensation. Problem dishonesty is a buyer breaking an instrument and then demanding a return. What the OP experienced is not a blip on that radar (if, and a big if, there was any misrepresentation to being with. Funny how the OP has not responded to specific requests to clarify what the buyer said that was so misleading).

Picton likes this.
  7. Mark Ambler

Mark Ambler

Nov 18, 2017
    London, UK.
    Hmmm, I didn't 'condemn' the post, just stated my opinion. Obviously it's a shame some people act in a unscrupulous way, but that can and does happen everywhere, wherever you choose to list your equipment. IMO of course:)

8. Wimsta

Wimsta

Apr 17, 2019
    Sorry if you read that as me accusing you of victim blaming, I didn't mean that you specifically had done so. Just that there are a number of people in the forum who are blaming the OP for nativity in feelings of deception.

I'm sure if I dig deeper I can find a list of people who've been burned in their TB transactions, and its all likely the best efforts being made to safeguard the community.

Mark Ambler likes this.
  9. Mark Ambler

Mark Ambler

Nov 18, 2017
    London, UK.
    Good idea, except it may get very difficult to ascertain who’s being truthful. Ebay does a pretty good job protecting the buyer, but that can also have the effect of the seller getting a raw deal. I always try to see an instrument before I buy it, except in rare occasions.
    I once bought a Japanese P bass from eBay that was said to be made in ‘92 rather than 2002, and the advertised ‘straight’ neck had curvature near the nut. I contacted the seller and requested my money back and he complied, thankfully. The bass was said to have been in London but was actually shipped from Italy, so the seller had to pay for that. The transaction was very stressful, though, and although I don’t buy from abroad, the seller made the listing appear that the Bass was in the U.K. Subsequently the Bass was relisted with the same misinformation, I contacted EBay, but I don’t think they did anything.

Buyer and Seller beware, basically.

10. Cliff Colton

Cliff Colton

Nov 7, 2016
    People will forgive or excuse any level of dishonesty that’s equal to their own.

11. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    Sold this beauty a few years ago. A few weeks later, I see a post from a person who bought the carcass (pickups had been removed) asking what kind of pickups to put in it. No emotional distress on my part, but I was mystified at someone buying the remains without a plan to replace the pickups...?

[​IMG]

12. Picton

Picton

Aug 16, 2017
    Reading, MA
    It isn't. He sold the bass. It's no longer his. He had no control over it from the moment he accepted money for it, which was foolish if he isn't now able to just let it go. His emotional stake in it now is... what, precisely?

blindrabbit likes this.
  13. Wimsta

Wimsta

Apr 17, 2019
    I don't know if I wish I could have your stoicism, I'm glad that I take offense to being disrespected.
    I disagree with you, being lied to merits one's frustration, regardless of anything else.

I'm glad you're able to completely ignore when people are dishonest to you, it probably does really simplify things.

14. Picton

Picton

Aug 16, 2017
    Reading, MA
    You're projecting. And? The OP has skedaddled. So we have no clue what he was told. Nor whether he was lied to. So you're also making assumptions about what occurred. Even if he comes back, we've still only got his word for what happened.

Bottom line: emotions have scant place in a business transaction. If he wasn't ready to let the bass go, he should not have sold it. His frustration stems from that. If I'm selling a bass, I don't care whether it's "going to a good home." If I care about it that much, I'm keeping it. So that I can give it that good home. Once it's out of my hands, the new owner is... well, the owner. I've been paid. I can now move on and do things with that money.

I do feel that you, and the OP, are making FAR too big a deal about what the OP was allegedly told by the buyer. People say things during negotiations; in the end, if both agree on the price and, presumably, are happy with it, then nothing else matters.

How am I wrong about that? I genuinely want to know.

blindrabbit likes this.
  15. Wimsta

Wimsta

Apr 17, 2019
    No projection.

The assumption I have made is clear and logical: either he was lied to, or he believes he was lied to.

If you have been lied to, or you believe you have been lied to, then being frustrated is a reasonable reaction.

The deal I'm making is that many of the replies, like yours, really don't care about whether or not someone lies in a transaction, and I think that is unfortunate.

Wanting a good deal, setting price points, etc. are all reasonable negotiating behaviors.

Lying to try and "sweeten someone up" is not a reasonable negotiating behavior.

16. Picton

Picton

Aug 16, 2017
    Reading, MA
    Again:

Both parties are happy with the transaction. Price, shipping, communication: no issues.

LATER, the seller decides he's unhappy.

How is that the buyer's fault? Surely the seller is responsible for his own emotions.

And, not to belabor this, but nobody knows that anybody lied.

blindrabbit and Febs like this.
  17. jbasedig

jbasedig Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2015
    Tucker, Georgia
    Yes, being able to wait for the price you're looking for, is nice. I 've bought a few basses played them once or twice and them put them away. Not boutique bassesm obviously, but common basses that sometimes, eventually become NOT so common, I've waited ten years and doubled my money, but it IS definitely a gamble. So if you can sit on gear that is in demand or will become in demand or.. just someone geeks out over them... ahem "T40s" anyone? Anybody know what a T40 went for new in say,, 1979--1982? adjust ... I digress. We're all at different points in our lives. I'm getting down to one upright, a fiverm, a jazz, a pj and Peavey T20... not there yet... working on it

B-Mac likes this.
  18. Many people flip stuff as a hobby and aren't interested in calculating profit, loss or hourly wage about it all.

For some it's a way to try lots of different instruments (basses, guitars, golf clubs, cars, whatever) and keeping the ones you love and selling the ones you don't.

I think the OP just has seller's remorse because now he thinks he left money on the table. He never actually said the buyer outright lied to him but a lot of the responses here seem to assume that was the case.

blindrabbit and Picton like this.
  19. B-Mac

B-Mac Sorting Things Out Supporting Member

I only buy because of G.A.S. and if it’s a good deal based on prevalent prices at the time

I surely over simplified my sales model but I am definitely in a situation where I can certainly wait

20. You mean you're glad you choose to take offense to being disrespected.

Is that a successful strategy for you? Does it achieve anything?

Picton likes this.