1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ugh sold my bass to a gear flipper

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Swingin, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    Being frustrated by incorrectly believing you've been lied to is not necessarily a reasonable reaction.

Brad Johnson likes this.
  2. JZQuantum

JZQuantum Supporting Member

Oct 12, 2008
    I hate when the reseller uses the previous owner's pictures. Has happened to me 2 or 3 times. I put in a lot of effort to take nice pictures of the instruments I sell. The copyright belongs to the person who took that photo so, it is neither legal nor ethical.

enatiello likes this.
  3. cv115505

cv115505 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Pittsburgh
    MJC Ironworks
    I’m not even mad he sold it... what I am mad about is that he fee me a line of BS to get the price down then sold it 2 days after he got it trying to get a profit.

4. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    Chittenango, NY
    There is nothing wrong, immoral or unethical about profit. Profit is a good thing. It's how you buy stuff like pizza, houses, and basses. Big difference between profit and exploitation. You weren't exploited.

Also keep in mind that , in re-selling, someone has to get about triple what they paid to see much of any profit. Is he charging 3x what he paid you? Because between the taxes, the host site's fees, shipping, all the hours and hours scouring for deals, the time spent listing - sounds crazy but that's how the numbers work out. Most re-sellers are looking to triple their money just to make a working-class living.

Take it as a compliment that your taste and sense in basses is good. Maybe you could have sold it for more yourself, maybe you can do that next time. But your bass is a money-maker. Maybe it flips a few more times, who knows. Every time it does money changes hands, and the pizza shop gets business. Think about the pizza. I must be hungry.

5. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    Chittenango, NY
    what was the line of "BS"?

6. Oh okay got ya.

7. Cliff Colton

Cliff Colton

Nov 7, 2016
    The line was: “The more discount I get, the less dirty you will feel.”

It wasn’t really a bs line, it was more like a hex or a curse.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  8. jbasedig

jbasedig Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2015
    Tucker, Georgia
    • bass And that's a great place to be. 1o years from retirement I am ill be 60. There was a time when 60 yearolds didn;t rock... but I play in a symphony and go mad for classic rock and roots reggae... my G.A.S will be abe to fly its freak flag once kid is through college... here is my wish list... 1 steinberger 5 string with the nrrow spacing,,,, no paddle bass, thr ones with wood bodies. 2 A 5 8ths size five string double bass... 3 a J bass se up exclusocely for slapping 4,, six string MM bongo,,,,bst 6 Iv ever ver played shaw nuff5 5 a perfrct p basswith a jazz nexk... not once did menyion a Ken SMith , Mayonaise,, or waht ever boutiqu makers thys belong to tn new geneatiom],,,, a generatuin this new generation o fplayers may come to church once iin a while but they do not worshio at alter James Jamese
      on

9. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick, Mesa Boogie, Joyo, Dr. J, Levy's Leathers
    You can literally tell any buyer that, any time you want to. As long as YOU OWN THE INSTRUMENT, you can handle it however you want.

Are you listening, OP? You don't get to have "feelings" about what he or she does with it. ;)

10. cv115505

cv115505 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Pittsburgh
    MJC Ironworks
    I don’t remember exactly... I could dig through my old messages and look later on. It was something along the lines of it being a bass he’s always wanted and he only had X amount of $$ for whatever reason. It’s a moot point at the end of the day. He got me.

11. Wut?

blindrabbit and Picton like this.
  12. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    Chittenango, NY
    well that is manipulative persuasion, I'd call it BS. Certainly not a hex or curse, as there's nothing affecting you now except the knowledge you got burned.

Chalk it up to experience, and move along...

13. Now you know to play dirty. Don't let anyone tell you how to feel.

Show me the money.

Let this one go. Better luck next time.

14. Cliff Colton

Cliff Colton

Nov 7, 2016
    Flippers are to the gear market as short sellers are to the stock market. They buy when there are no buyers, thus supporting the market. When the flippers stop buying, watch out below.

five7 and buldog5151bass like this.
  15. MAFbass1992

MAFbass1992

Feb 4, 2012
    Montreal
    With Facebook having different music instrument selling groups it's very easy to spot the gear flippers and then match them with their ebay/kijiji ads, even by their types of picture or writing. I love to buy/try/sell gear but I've never made a fortune by reselling stuff... But by checking everyday I got used to know ''who's who''.

There's a case... A random guy on Facebook selling an AM Pro P for 1500$ CAD. Fair Price. I took a screenshot of the owner's picture. One week later I see this ''gear flipper'' that I know selling the same bass for 1750$. Of course he'll never get that price but I had a good time posting that screenshot I did a week ago as a comment.

What I mean is, best way to get through it is maybe discredit the ''gear flipper'' once they post something to sell at a ridiculous price?

16. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    And those are clearly not the only full options. He could believe whatever he wants... and be completely wrong.

17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    There has been no proof of dishonesty yet you continue to treat it as if it's relevant in this case. That is problematic.

18. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Why?

19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    I have no problem if they're legit pictures, particularly if as often is the case they explain their origin. It's easy enough to request additional current pics. I don't copyright pics and if I sold the item I no longer own it.

OTOH I've seen pics of basses I currently own on dealer websites as if they're available for sale. That's messed up.

20. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Yeah, there's a name for that move.
    :D

MAFbass1992 likes this.