1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ugh...torn speaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 3ntr0py, Oct 25, 2006.

1. 3ntr0py

3ntr0py

Oct 25, 2006
    hey everyone.
    so i noticed last night at band practice that one of the speakers in my 70's ampeg 8x10 cab is torn pretty severely. i'm weighing my options regarding reconing vs. buying a new one and i have a couple of questions for you speaker experts out there...

1. recone or replace? i can get that one speaker reconed for about $60, or i can replace it with a new one. i was thinking about replacing it with an eminence BP102 8 ohm speaker. does that sound about right?

2. i have a gig on friday and i'm not going to have the speaker fixed or replaced by then unfortuantely. would it cause any further damage if i unplugged that one speaker to get rid of the nasty buzz? like i said, it's an 8x10, so there are still 7 other speakers to carry the load.

sorry for the long post. i've been playing bass for 17+ years and i just never managed to pick up the technical amp/speaker knowledge that i should have by now.

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    You must recone with a cone kit that has the correct specs for the driver, or replace the driver with one very close to the specs of the original. Chances are your SVT has 32 ohm drivers, so that limits your choices considerably. You can unplug the mate to the blown driver for the time being, assuming the drivers are 32 ohm and the drivers are all parallel wired.

3. 3ntr0py

3ntr0py

Oct 25, 2006
    here's another question. how do i know exactly what the specs are for the speakers in my cab? i took out the torn one and looked on the back for some sort of info, but didn't see anything. there was a small white sticker on the side but i couldn't really make any sense of what all the numbers meant.

4. do not just unplug for the gig, you'll throw the ohm load all off for the cab. as a quick fix, get some silicone and repair the tear in the cone while you search for a new driver.

5. 3ntr0py

3ntr0py

Oct 25, 2006
    i'm not sure if that would work. it is torn around the edge where the cone meets the foam. the tear probably goes about 1/4 of the way around the cone.

is there any way to at least quiet that nasty freakin' buzz for one gig?

6. yes, the silicone......it will at least muffle the fuzz for a show...that or duct tape

7. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Foam? Musical instrument drivers don't use foam surrounds. If the surround is foam someone may have replaced the original driver(s) with hi-fi or autosound units. Take the cab to a shop that knows which way is up to see what's what .
    Some drivers use adhesives that can be dissolved by the fumes from curing silicone. Unless you're absolutely sure that the drivers you have don't use those adhesives silicone is verboten.
    If it's got original SVT 32 ohm drivers parallel wired disconnecting two will take the impedance to 5.3 ohms, not a problem. But if those drivers have foam surrounds they aren't original SVT drivers.

8. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
  9. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Assuming that the original drivers haven't all been swapped out with who knows what. I wouldn't do anything until I've had the cab looked at by a competent techie to see exactly what's in there.

10. 3ntr0py

3ntr0py

Oct 25, 2006
    the speaker that is torn is one if two that look like they have been replaced, probably together (the two bottom speakers). all the others look pretty old, but still sound great (like i said, this is a late 60's, possibly early 70's cab). i guess i'll just have to throw the old fridge in the truck and take it to my local speaker shop. i was hoping to avoid that hassle. i don't mind replacing it completely (once i figure out what kind of speaker to get), so i think i'll just try to at least muffle the buzz for this one gig.

thanks for all your help guys. i think this is why i have kept my distance from amp/speaker repair for all these years. there are just too many "if's".

11. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    It's why this, or something like it, should have been put into your personal library years ago.http://www.audioxpress.com/bksprods/products/bkaa66.htm
    Then when you first noticed that two of the original drivers had been replaced you might have investigated further. My guess is that the replacments were hi-fi or autosound, are a different impedance than the originals, and have been messing up your sound all along. Just like any professional a musician should understand how the tools he makes his living with work, not only to get the most out of them, but also to protect his investment in them.