1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ugh...why?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by marlond, Sep 18, 2010.

1. marlond

marlond

Jun 23, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Well I made a mistake... :scowl:

I went and tried out a Musicman Stingray 5 (just like the one I own) side by side with a Fender Geddy Lee Jazz...

I liked the Geddy Lee... :rollno:

I don't really know what to do now. I want a 5 string bass, but I also want it to be passive and sound like the Geddy Lee Jazz.

Ugh... I might have to keep my eye out for a used Geddy Lee...

2. nato101010

nato101010

Dec 12, 2009
    Ontario
    Preference is preference. nbd

3. Jonyak

Jonyak

Oct 2, 2007
    Ottawa, Ont
    you tried a lakland 5 string jazz?

I beleive its called a 55-60 now.

4. April Ethereal

April Ethereal

Jul 23, 2010
    well its all up to you man, pick the one you like more, or the one that you could get more use out of now. With the music man, youll have that nice B string, and the other ones, soooooo just think about wich one is more logical to get now, and wich one to get later. =)

5. Fender Am standard 5?????

6. funk generator

funk generator Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Johnson City, TN
    I second the lakland 5 idea ;) A joe 5 in sunburst would be where its at.

Had a chance to trade my 4 string lakland jazz (i loved) for one exactly like it in 5 string version. If i had, id likly still have my lakland :'( but i do love the bass i have now

7. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I ran a rack of MM SR 5's, Sterling 5's, Big Al, and ended up liking the Precision V the best.

Perhaps it's the tone I am used to, but all those basses went through the same rig, the Precision just sounded great with no tweaking the amp.

8. cassius987

cassius987 Inactive

Apr 20, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Why do you have to have a five string? Do you play a lot of music that requires a thunderingly low note once in a while? That's okay, you can adapt your playing around it on a four either with a set up or by arranging the note differently. It really depends on the gig, but fivers are usually nowhere near as much a prerequisite to playing bass as people like to say they are. I have done all sorts of gigs with just four-bangers and never heard a complaint that there wasn't enough bottom end. Most people think the E string is too low!

9. esa372

esa372

Aug 7, 2010
    Mine will be up for sale next week; see you in the calssifieds!

:D

10. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Marcus Miller?

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021