ugly bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pigpen02, Aug 20, 2002.

1. pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
  2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    ...Naw, that's ugly, I'll give it that, but it's no Wishnevsky.
  3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    It's damned close. :D
  4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    looks like an amphibian.
  5. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Isn't that a crime in some states?

6. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
  7. jlmorgan

May 12, 2002
    Actualy the more I look at that, the more it starts to grow on me.....scary...
  8. that's were the extra paddle for my canoe went!!
  9. I don't know if I should laugh or cry...
  10. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    thats just wrong.. poor poor wood... it would have made better use as a bedpost..
  11. :D i dont know i think it looks kindof cool, awsome thing to put up on a wall somewhere
  12. Sure it's sorta ugly, But yeah, I kinda like it too. Really look at it, It looks like its actually playable. It looks finished. The control knobs, around the pickup, the strings even run parallel with the edge of the neck.

Unlike the Wishnevskys, which look like they were made by a kid in middle-school woods class. No offense intended, But...

13. BillyBishop

Feb 7, 2001
    That thing has no right to exist.

14. Uh... I'm... sure it has a great.... tone? :confused:
  15. This thing is weird enough to be kinda cool. Looks like the horns were bitten off and replaced with peglegs. Pirate bass? Yarrrrr.
  16. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    He's nearby... think I'll check him out soon.
  17. arky86

Jan 29, 2002
    that is like the slutty whore underbelly of the bassing world. In other words it is pure evil!!:eek:
  18. Sweet! That is really cool looking..I think it's great, because it doesn't even come close to looking like a Fender or a Warwick... for those that think it's ugly have no creative soul, none whatsoever. Stay in your box!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lamezone. "WISHNEVSKY MUST BE STOPPED!!!" Why do you think this? Are you a Nazi?:confused:

I bet most of you bass gear heads have never been to a modern or contemporary Art museum. Get a life!
  19. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

IMO, I have greater faith in this guy than Wishenvsky --- he doesn't seem to be trying out "weird" for the sake of "weirdness." He just seems to be experimental.

The 28-frets-on-a-short scale-neck seems futile to me (then again, 21 frets is all I typically need).

His wood choices seem to be skewed to just the darker and denser woods instead of having something with a lot resonance in the mix.

His emphasis on "bolts" and "screws" puts me off.

But, I think the maker could be worth checking out, especially since he offers a 5-day trial period instead of the usual Ebay "you bought it - you're stuck with it" policy. I hope Brad J. can give him a litmus test.

After all, consider how Steinbergers were dissed when they came out and look at Spalt basses - on paper they make no sense to me but somebody is paying $3k for those