Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ugly basses that sound good

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fire-Starter, Feb 16, 2003.

1. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    I remember playing a Rickenbacker bass that I thought was Ugly but it feels really good and sounds great. Does anyone else know of any basses you cosider UGLY :spit: but sound really good??

quote: If I can lead a horse to water, but I can't make him drink, then I will take him to the factory and make him into glue! no sense in wasting a trip :spit:

holla if ya hear me!:bassist:

2. kaboom133

kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    pedulla buzz, ugly as sin, but a nice bass. but the ric ugly???? :eek:

3. The Notorious Wish basses supposedly have a great tone. I've read that it's about as close to an upright you'll get on an electric, and at a low price too.

Not that that'll stop anyone from hating them. :rolleyes:

4. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Now Now!.. what have we learned about starting the wish fires?.. I know I know... Beleave me I know a guy who knows him personaly, and he said his basses actualy have beautiful tone - but horable non-playable body's... but still...

Alex

ps. I hope this doesn't turn into a wish hate thread...

pss. Bee Basses, ugly as sin - tone of a god...

5. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    sorry to offend practically everyone but I too find Rics quite the eysore. Something about the shape of basically everything on it just seems horribly wrong to me....and now don't go threatening to bash my teeth out with your tuning heads....many people don't like the looks of the EDA, which I think looks, sounds, and plays quite good. and God forbid, i think some of the wish basses actually look perdy cool....except for the control plate of course...and pickup routing....but aside from that...

6. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I kind of think Stingray 5's are ugly (mainly the pickguard), but they play well.

I also don't really care for the look of F Bass, but I have never played one.

(oh yeah, My Dad is distant friends with Wish and I plan to visit his shop in the future, just out of curiosity)

-KB

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX

yekcko, yekcko...haven't we learned anything about posting threads while drunk??!

brad cook

8. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    HAHAHA!!! tru Dat Homie!.. :rolleyes:

Alex

ps. I think the stingray's pickguard is kinda gross too, oh and the new EB - Bongo is GROSS!!!

9. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    The "Hohner" copy of the steinberger headless, way ugly but sounds real good.
    Also the De Armond "Ashbory".

10. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Basslabs are really an acquired taste, but the sound and playability....hmmmmm!

www.basslab.de

11. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    your quote

yekcko, yekcko...haven't we learned anything about posting threads while drunk??! [/B]

I must admit that put a smile on my face:)

althought I don't drink, but I did have a few Comtrex just before posting thread:bassist: :D :oops:

12. How bout Warwick Dolphins, they look pretty damn weird but sound pretty damn good.

13. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    the ibanez EDA , it looks like a bass which was put in a microwave...

14. way_of_opiatism

way_of_opiatism 28d, 6h, 42m, 12 seconds

Feb 5, 2003
    Cobb!
    the ashbory is pretty ugly. i like how rics look but i hate the sound. i saw a long time ago an unknown, probably hand built, bass that looked like this: ===><, not a great example, think the back of a black widow spider the "diamond" shape. it was headless, had ric style pickups and a soapbar. looked like two pieces of MDF with lots of clear coat on it. i'd have to say that was the ugliest bass, but it had a interesting sound which i liked due to its interestingness. heh.

15. Tumbao

Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    FL
    I can't with Warwick's but Dolphin sounds GOOD!

16. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Warwick Thumb
    Most singlecuts
    Some Alembics (body shapes)

...and, the MusicMan Stingray 5. It's an OK looking bass overall, but the pickguard and headstock make my eyes hurt.

17. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    "Its what you think is ugly and that sounds good sounds good"

Its all up to you man.. The eye of the beholder..

I know people that say Jazz Bass bodies are the ugliest things in the world.. but I think they are sexy as hell!

I love Legacy bodies, i know people that hate them.

its all up to you.. what "SOUNDS GOOD" to you may sound like crap to another. Its all up to you.

"Opinions are like @$$holes, everyone has one"

DM

18. way_of_opiatism

way_of_opiatism 28d, 6h, 42m, 12 seconds

Feb 5, 2003
    Cobb!
    and i thought i was the only one.

19. The Fender Jazz Bass. It amuses me to no end that even the most forward-looking bands still rely upon instruments whose visuals are firmly rooted in the aesthetics of the Eisenhower administration.

20. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    yeah the fender jazz basses look really ugly with the like little weird bit at the bottom right corner

but they play nice.....so ive heard