Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ugly carpet fix?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rick Martin, Mar 27, 2004.

1. My new used amp has some rough lookin carpet. I've tried the vacuum and various brushes, but it seems like it needs some kind of clipper like a dog groomer might use. So much of the carpet fiber is sticky straight out like Bozo's wig. It doesn't look practical to get that carpet off and re cover it. Any suggestions?

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Get one of those "sweater ball shavers", available at local fabric shops such as JoAnn Fabrics chainstores.

3. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    1. clean the carpet with foamy spray on type.
    2. shave the carpet pills with a disposable razor.

4. I went at the carpet with my little battery mustache and beard trimmer and it looks ten years younger. I trimmed it up and vacuumed the loose stuff and it looks fresh.

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

So what ???

If the tone is what you want, who cares.......except maybe a doink like a guitarist.

No one in the audience, IME 30 years of experience, even looks at your amp. You're lucky if they even notice your quilted maple tops on your instruments. The audience is more focused on cruising for hynnie !

If it bothers you so much, take a look at one of these companies that sprays a sort plastic/fiberglass cover on pickup truck beds. They're all over the place.

6. I'm just a home hobby player, so my amp never goes anywhere. It's the old lady who really objects to the crummy carpet on this amp. She sez, it looks dirty.

7. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Does it double as a coffee table or something? Hey we may have just invented the next fad in Audio products :)