Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ugly Distortion

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Indi86, Dec 30, 2004.

1. I'm trying to figure out what's going on here... but I'm at a loss. Running through an Ampeg B2R and an Avatar b210 I'm getting nasty distortion when I try to go to higher volumes.

The speakers push really hard, and the amp peaks, which seems odd considering when I'm doing this I'm only running it at 8ohms/200watts.

It doesn't get much better when running at 4ohms/350 *(stated) watts. Any ideas would be appreciated.

EDIT: I have the volume and gain around 5ish (flat)

2. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Have you tried turning the gain down a bit and seeing if that helps at all?

3. 1. Are you overdriving the preamp? Does the clip light come on while you play?

2. I'm assuming you're hitting the limiter on the poweramp? B2Rs kind of have a tendency to be a bit underpowered fairly easily. Mine used to clip running the master around 1 oclock.

3. Are you running a lot of bass in your sound? If so, you could try backing off that.

4. Does your cab sound the same with other heads or is it just with the B2R? With the B2R and other cabs? With your current setup and different cables?

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Listen man, you can distort 200 watts much easier than 300 watts, you might be asking too much of it, given your tone settings - especially if using alot of lows.

5. scraig

scraig

Apr 15, 2004
    Virginia Beach
    Make sure that your speaker polarity is correct on your speaker wire - + to + and - to -.

6. trying all the suggestions... I'll let you know. My clip light is coming on.

edit: cables are brand new, and I can't currently try it with other cabs. although I should be able to soon.

7. well, by punching on the limiter and the -15 pad i can survive. Also, oddly, turning on both my tweeters to about 5% seemed to make it flip out less.

8. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well turning the tweets down can make you lose the indication that your poweramp is clipping. Bottom line is you've run out of watts my friend.

9. yarr, I feared that. Well, I guess I'll start my search for more watts.

10. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    PLX3402