1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ugly Musicians

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MEKer, Oct 5, 2010.

1. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    What level of attractiveness does your ego require for a bandmate? Would you play with an ugly guitarist (for example) if he was smoking hot on the axe? I would.

(But then again, I am startlingly manly-handsome and so ALL others are ugly compared to me which means I have no choice in bandmate-looks evaluations.):p

Continuing on from the above "aside":

Forget the "beauty in the eye of the beholder" crap-----ugly is ugly--sorry--------but would it make a difference to you?

Yes, yes, we all know "looks" are important in a band---that's a fact whether subjectively right or wrong---but, "attractiveness" can and does make a difference at differing levels to people.
    Think about it. Be honest and tell us.

No insults please.

2. This is my harmonica player:

l_a169e678f3cd60a2895fb242e2de0976.png

I hope this answers your question. :D

3. I'm as ugly as sin, as you know, MEKer, but I still get gigs. I honestly believe that if you play good music, you'll get gigs. If you don't, you'll need a gimmick like a hot singer or guitarist that'll bring the crowds. Good musicianship will usually win over eye candy unless you're at a specific kind of club.

4. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I'll play with anyone, but I do remember looking over at this one 300 lb hillbilly with a greasy beard and overalls that was playing guitar with my band for a couple of shows, and thinking to myself "he's driving away the chicks". :p Sorry to the big hillbillies in the room, but that was my honest thought. I suppose if he was neatly groomed and nicely dressed it might not have crossed my mind.

I also remember when I was a kid, seeing an Adam Ant video where the guitarist took center screen during the solo, and I thought "he is way too ugly to be in that band, never mind being up front in a video".

I also remember my mom telling me that she thought Roy Orbison would have been a bigger success, instead of fading away into obscurity, if he had been less ugly. This was before his revival in the '80s.

5. Skitch it!

Skitch it!

Sep 6, 2010
    Best looking harmonica player I've ever seen : ) The first time a Scottish guitarist friend of mine introduced me to his infamously gravelly 'old hand guitarist' father, the senior exclaimed upon sight 'ah, a bass player and he dosen't look like a d***'......I took that as a great compliment :D

6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars

You're right. A bunch of ugly guys like these:

[​IMG]

...Could never be in a successful band.

7. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    ^^^ Not a great example--the two on the left may be "homely", but not outright ugly; the two to the right of them are good-looking, more or less; and the one on the far right would be good-looking if it weren't for the wig or hairdo.

8. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    That would be Jerry Garcia's real hair.

9. XigXag

XigXag

Mar 30, 2010
    Dayton Ohio
    There are a whole lot of great musicians who are seriously ugly. It should probably be a part of your next ad.
    Wanted:Fugly guitar player. extra large facial moles preferred, but will accept freakishly large lips.

10. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    How about The Rolling Stones?

11. Disraeli Gears

Disraeli Gears

May 29, 2007
    Jerry Garcia's on the left. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's Phil Lesh on the right (also his real hair :p).

12. Correct.

13. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Seems I'm having directional trouble tonight. I swear his post was referring to the left. :scowl:

14. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    Uh, take Mick Jagger for example...

15. Geddy Lee.

16. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Depends on whether you are looking into the picture or looking out from the picture. :p

12534983759.gif

17. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY

I think I found a new hobby.

18. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    Good save, Bongo.

19. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Inactive

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    Great, just what we need, Advice dog on Acid.

20. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    LOL--as sin, huh, Capn?-pshaw I say. But I agree totally on your last sentence. Yes--100%.

And lets always remember what the wife of Agamemnon, Clytemnestra, famously said when she was planning a party after Agamemnon went to besiege Troy, and her steward thought she wanted a lover for the celebratory evening:

"Gawdammit, Hercos, you damn pimp. You want a flogging? I told you that I do not need an Adonis...I need a good eff'ing musician."

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021