Ugly neck grain question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by brock29609, May 21, 2005.

1. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    I hear a lot of talk about grain on maple necks. Are there functional issues with having pretty grain, or is it desirable just because of looks? I ask because my new replacement MIM Fender Jazz neck has butt-ugly maple. I really don't care, unless I have crappier tone because of it (see below). No real grain, just ugly dark chunks. Should I be pissed that my new neck looks like this?

2. I bought a parts P-Bass clone with that neck's twin on it and I never had any problems with it. As far as I can see, the dark streaks have no negative structural effects, they're just kind of ugly.
  3. I've seen this in maple before but I don't know what it is either. This is a perfect question to as Larry down in the Gallery Hardwoods forum cuz Larry knows everything wood.
  4. Sane

Dec 4, 2004
    Melbourne Fl
    The way I see it those streaks give the maple identity... If I had a camara id take a pic of the underside of maple necked Lakie ... around the 7th fret theres an almost perfect dark circle... Id say probley a knot or something in the wood ... or the very edge of a knot ... cant feel it but Gives it character in my book.
  5. They are mineral streaks, no real problem, just looks. A lot of times your higher end basses won't use necks with mineral streaks or anything in the wood, but the lower end ones will. Of course throwing away wood that isnt perfect raises your costs of the bass.