Ugly, or not

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 2BitBassPlayer, Aug 31, 2001.

1. Pure Beauty

49 vote(s)
  2. In Bass-A-Nova's words kind of like the Sarah Jessica Parker of can't really decide if

61 vote(s)
  3. Just plane ugly

46 vote(s)
  1. [​IMG]

What do you think is the Kenneth Lawrence Brase Ugly or pure beauty?
  2. KumoriNeko

KumoriNeko Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    It would look better with a darker fingerboard and if the "horn" only came up to the 12 fret and didn't meet the neck.
  3. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
  4. I voted pure beauty, but then I thought about what it might look like when someone is actually wearing it, so now I'm having second thoughts. Then I saw the Sarah Jessica Parker comment. I think that one's pretty straightforward. She's got a good ol' case of butterface. ;)
  5. :cool:

I played one of those a year ago. It was a fretless with passive electronics. It was an incredibly well-made and beautiful sounding instrument.

I think they look cool. But then I like the unique look.

6. Guy Kitchens

Guy Kitchens

Aug 25, 2001
    Beauty is truely in the eyes of the beholder...speaking of about that built-in bass carrying handle. Now someone had their thinking cap on when they came up with that idea.:D
  7. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    does that extended horn serve any purpose other than just looking pretty?.... i already use my top horn as a handle, so don't just say that, i'm wondering if it has any pronounced effect on sound, playability etc. It seems like it might just get in the way...
    I think its pretty though, but would look better with an ebony fretboard
  8. My understanding is that it helps stabilize the neck.

9. From

"Although that weird-looking horn attached to the neck takes some getting used to, Lawrence claims it has its advantages. Inspired by a construction method developed by Vinnie Fodera and Anthony Jackson, this horn structurally "braces" the neck to keep it "virtually flat from the 12th fret up." Also, the horn allows the neck vibrations to transfer into the body better, which Lawrence says provides "an aliveness usually associated with older, more seasoned instruments."

Both claims are true. The Brase has very low action all the way up the fingerboard. (Pitching the neck angle back 1deg. helps, too.) Acoustically, the three-piece set-in maple neck, Grenadillo fingerboard, and swamp-ash body have a woody bite with a very natural decay."
  10. I am a fence sitter on this. It looks very expensive and good quality. I like the head, the blue stain but that handle has me confused if it was removed the body would look kinda like an Ibanez IMO so that is why I dont mind the handle cause it is different but then I hate it ahhh stop these voices I don't know what I like anymore???????
  11. I think its would be truly beuatiful if it had a walnut top like alot of the wal basses, that would look gooooood.:)
  12. interesting to see a bass with a built-in handle, but... nah.. they shouldn't have made the junction from the horn to the neck.. it spoils the bass
  13. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    AGREED!! :D
  14. Unique, best discribes it but the horn won't allow you to clutch the neck and how does it swing, I bet if I played it I'd break my thumb...
  15. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Not ugly, but distinctly unattractive.
  16. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I vote purty.... I liked that one the first time I saw it in Bass Player. I've always liked big-bodied basses (maybe their just big-boned...).
  17. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I like the looks.
    And there just was a great review in a German bass magazine.
  18. Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    borderline .... beautiful/ugly ...... it was ugly, but its grown on me already ..... now its ugly again ...... put me down for ..... beaugly .....
  19. Looks kinda like the bass from the Smooth Criminal video by Alien Ant Farm. I see a good resemblance. I'd give it a Sarah Jessica Parker. But, dude, she's hot.....:rolleyes: