Ugly paint bubbles...who's the best refinisher?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by songwriter21, Dec 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Hello All,

So I received a new-condition bass over the weekend, from a seller on Ebay, and it has two cosmetic exceptions that weren't mentioned in the ad. It looks like, when the bass was made a ways back, that the paint didn't dry enough, before the tuners were put on, causing the paint to fold and bubble under the G and D strings. The G tuner housing won't sit flush because of this (I managed to fix the D string's housing, though). I didn't notice this until after I set the bass up, and after I left positive feedback (waiting on a "compensation" reply from the seller)...hopefully, this won't have to go into a dispute. Anyway, no paint is chipped or missing or anything, and it doesn't look like the factory finish was redone by anyone. I love the bass, and definitely want to get the headstock refinished. I know it may be a stretch to get the Peavey signature corrected after being repainted, so who is your vote for the best guy/girl to make this look as new as possible again?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    That G tuner thing bothers me although I'm not 100% convinced the paint bubble is culpable. FTR, I have the same thing going on with the clear coat on a 20 year old 5 string...it's stable & inconspicuous so I won't mess with it. Before you start spending premium $$ on a re-fin, try this:

*Swap out the tuner for another known component to see if it fits flush with the headstock.

*if it is indeed the paint which is causative, have somebody isolate and re-work only the contact area beneath the ferrule / washer.

Is this a US or import?

Afterthought: if overtightened, a tuner can crush or dimple the headstock surface in weird ways which may affect the surrounding finish.

Riis

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yeah refin work is super expensive these days. I don't know if anyone would do it for less than a couple hundred.... or even more. You could wind up with more in a refin than the bass is worth.

If I were you I would be looking into a repair, not a refin...... some way to seat the tuners without firing up the paint gun.

4. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    It's a US model.

Zooberwerx likes this.
  5. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Same rules apply...just trying to get a handle on whether we're talkin' about real Gotohs (?).

Riis

6. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    The distortion I'm seeing is weird - kinda makes me thing the wood somehow warped, but the amount I'm seeing makes no sense - wood wouldn't bend like that. And I've never seen a paint job with that much movement - something is very amiss there. I suspect the seller was trying to pull one over on you - hate to say it, but to me that's what it looks like.

songwriter21 likes this.
  7. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    I won't be spending the money on a refin, only if the seller is forced by Ebay and/or Paypal to compensate me. The seller said that you can see the blems in the pic, but most buyers wouldn't think much of what look like reflections, especially because the flaws weren't noted in the ad. I have looked at Marty Bell's pricing, and it's around 350 for an entire refin, where my bass is just the headstock.

8. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Good question, Peavey was weird at times about tuner logos. I'm guessing these are indeed GB7's, as some custom-shop models had Hipshots, and again...no name on the pieces.

9. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    A second look at the pics - does that thing have a plastic covering on the front of the headstock? I wonder if it got overheated somehow, and the plastic sagged. It's just not like anything I've ever seen before.

10. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    I hate to think this, too, and unfortunately, I have a feeling this could get ugly from turning into a dispute. Fortunately, I love the bass, and Ebay will probably find in my favor, because of the missing description. Ebay helped me out from a negligent seller in the past, and the response I have gotten from this seller, so far, is questionable and somewhat dodgy, because he knew about the bubbles when selling. That may be his costly mistake, I hate to say.

11. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Yeah, it looks like a poly finish....

12. franklindayala

franklindayala

Feb 8, 2015
    PERÚ
    Pat Wilkin (Wilkins guitars)

songwriter21 likes this.
  13. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown

Feb 16, 2011
    If it’s poly you might try a little heat then clamp it flat while it cools. Machine heads off of course

14. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    I know I'm not doing that myself. I could maybe suggest this to Pat Wilkins, as I've discussed the situation with him already. Probably going to have the heastock completely stripped, because the cool thing, is that the serial number is on the back of the headstock, so he said that he can probably get new logos directly from Peavey. If not, he and his team can design exact copies of them. The latter option would add that much more to the cost, but well worth it to keep the value of the bass. The neck straightness, playability, and sound, are why I don't mind making this bass look right again, by shelling out additional bucks. Imo, a bass that works for you, doesn't carry a price tag (unless you're selling it).

15. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    That’s weird, almost looks like a plastic “wrap” you can buy now to cover a whole body. I’ve seen similar distortion on poorly done body wrap jobs.

16. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown

Feb 16, 2011
    Not sure how close it is, but the poly finish on an MIM J bass is more like a vacuformed piece of lexan than a sprayed on finish. It's not even actually stuck to the body, it's more like the wood is encased. The sealer is not even smooth underneath and when it's warmed up just a bit it will peel off in big sheets.. You warm it up and it gets pliable enough I believe you could work out humps like that.

songwriter21 likes this.
  17. 74hc

74hc

Nov 19, 2015
    Sunny California
    I don't believe that's a paint bubble, but delamination. I also believe that G tuner was installed after the delamination started. Regardless of whether I'm right or wrong, that bass is far from being in new condition.

I'd ask for a refund and send it back to the seller. That does not appear to be a simple grading mistaken by the seller, but more like fraudulent mistaken.

18. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Yep, that's complete separation.
    It looks like it might have been left in a hot automobile or something.

songwriter21 likes this.
  19. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I like this idea. If you start messing with it you'll either have to do the whole thing or chance making it worse. I'd be tempted to leave it alone, but the heat idea is appealing.

It's not highly noticeable, and I would think that a bit of heat with the tuners out would let that paint settle into place. It may be a fine line between letting it move and burning it, though.

songwriter21 likes this.
  20. boomba

boomba

Feb 13, 2008
    Buffalo NY
    Try taking off the tuners to see if you can get a needle between the finish and the wood. If so you may be able to inject some glue between the finish and the wood. I have done this with very thin super glue. Tape off the top of the headstock to keep the glue from ruining the top of the headstock. If you can make a big enough opening between the wood and the finish you can drop fill using super glue and a tooth pick.