Ugly, tinny, trebly bass tone going from amp into into mic jack.

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by GobyWan, Jun 14, 2004.

1. Is this a normal occurence? Should I resign myself to this horrendous tone until I get a proper recording setup? Or is there a good way to fix this that I'm missing?

All informative comments are appreciated, even "You're screwed."
  2. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Please list your signal chain ie bass-amp etc and what sockets you are using ie line out headphone out etc.
  3. I'm using a Yamaha BBG4AII, running a Planet Waves instrument cable into a Yorkville 50B bass amp, which is then run into the microphone jack on my computer via a cheap 1/8" audio cable with a 1/4" adapter on the end plugged into the amp.

Sometimes I pick up FM radio in my recordings. :meh:
  4. Bump... I'd love an answer.
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    What are you using to listen to what you've recorded? Computer speakers? Headphones? You need to make sure that your output transducers aren't the culprit. A one-inch speaker is going to make pretty much anything sound tinny.
  6. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Plugged into what output from the amp? Unless it's a DI output, you probably need an attenuator pad inline, at the very least. Does your soundcard have a line input?
  7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Use the line in instead of the mic in.
  8. When I record direct, it sounds like that too. No matter how much I fiddle with the tone, it still sounds like St. Anger. Ugh. The reason mine sounds like that is probably my soundcard. When I use the same setup on my friend's computer, which has some expensive soundcard on it, it sounds like a million dollars compared to what it does on my laptop. Anyway, a cheap Shure mic might do the trick. Also, recording software helps too with the excess noise and "fuzz" associated with direct in. Good luck to you! :bassist:
  9. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    I've checked the manual on the Yorkville site. This amp has a line out and a headphone out. Ues the line out (just checking) and as JMX advises use the line in. There should be a facility on your computer to see how much signal you are getting. Keep it in the green.
  10. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I just plug my bass straight into the sound card. It sounds fine for me.
  11. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    Bass direct-in to a soundcard sounds great... if it's plugged into a "Line In." It's best to have a mixer and/or a pre-amp at the front end, and/or active electronics. No need for a mic.

NOTHING plugged into the mono high-impedance "Mic" jack on a computer will sound "good." It's intended for low-fidelity teleconferencing/speech recording.

Most desktop computers will have a Stereo Line-In and a Mic jack standard.
    Most laptop computers will only have a Mic jack; an external audio interface is necessary to record decent audio.

To prevent distortion in Windows, use the Recording mixer (double click on the system tray speaker icon, wade through the menus until you get the Record mixer) to attenuate the level until your recording program no longer shows your signal hitting the 0 dB mark.