1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ugrade with a Kappalite 3015 or JBL K-140

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DrumsAndBass, Jan 25, 2012.

1. The idea is to upgrade the factory single 15" driver in Carvin's BR 115-8. I plan to re-load the cab and use it with my 1x18 cab. I'm considering the Kappalite 3015 and K-140 because they both have a wide response - at least according to the specs. I don't have any way to run the specs of the two drivers with the empty cab specs.

The re-loaded Carvin cab will be getting 250 watts rms into 8 ohms from an all solid state bass head.

Can you give me a rough idea of how each driver would sound in that cab ?

Thank You

2. jungleheat

jungleheat Banned

Jun 19, 2011
    DC
    A 15 and an 18 is kind of a weird combination. A 2x10 might go better with an 18.

I would guess the JBL might have a bit more highend, but that's just speculation because I don't know the numbers offhand. But I'm pretty sure it has lower power handling than the Eminence.

I will say I have a JBL M151 in an older Carvin cab (from the mid 80s) and it sounds really good.

3. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
  4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Find a way. It's not like WinISD is rocket science. The low frequency response of these two drivers is about as far apart as it gets.

5. SBrown

SBrown

Dec 5, 2008
    Auburn, CA
    A band I play in rehearses at the drummers studio, where he has a TL606 loaded with a JBL k-140. I built myself 2 TL606's with 3015's in them. One night we did a side by side comparison, running both with an Ampeg SVT 7pro and a P-bass w/flats. The JBL loaded cab emphasized the upper mids, and top end grind. My 3015 loaded cab had a surprising amount of low end support. If I rolled off the lows on the EQ it started sounding similar, even more so if I boosted the highs. To get the JBL to sound like the 3015, I had to crank the lows, bump the low mids, and slightly roll off the highs. It started sounding farty at moderate volume at this EQ. The 3015 cab never seems to strain, even when pushed REALLY hard. Both drivers have great mids. I may be biased, but the JBL sounded "thin" in comparison to the 3015, and the 3015 sounded "fat". These are just my opinions, and its possible that I'm used to my cab and therefore "want" to hear that tone, but I was really trying to be objective when comparing. Just for the record, I was able to build a sub 35lb. cab with 1/2" structural ply and bracing and a 3015. I actually built 2, and together at 4 ohm are friggin awesome.

6. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    That's exactly what you should hear. But it might not be what the OP wants to run along with an 18. Of course, if I was running an 18 for the lows it would be crossed over to a guitar ten at 300Hz or so for the mids.

7. SBrown

SBrown

Dec 5, 2008
    Auburn, CA
    Yea, the JBL might be more complimentary to the 18 with its crispy upper mids and highs. Its not that the 3015 doesn't have good upper mids and highs, because it does! But they pop out more in the JBL, possibly because the 3015 has such good lows they are being hidden.