1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ugraded to Warwick, my GK 700RB can't cope

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rdh190, Sep 25, 2008.

1. rdh190

rdh190

Sep 25, 2008
    I love(d) my GK 700RB 2x10 combo amp. It mixed perfectly with my Peavey Cirrus but now that I have purchased a Warwick Corvette 5-string the tone (or ability to handle the heavy lows) went to crap. I love the heavy growly tone of the Warwick but I don't really want to buy an Ampeg to do the bass justice.

Overall, the tone with the GK and Warwick isn't bad, it just seems like the GK can't handle the low notes and thick tone, it's overloaded. I'm looking to beef up my amp setup without spending a lot. Does anyone have a suggestion for some 10" speaker upgrades or another speaker box combo that would work out good?

BTW this amp is 8 years old and has seen a lot of use. I used to leave it in my car a lot too with speakers facing upward.

Is anyone using a Warwick with a GK combo amp? Thoughts?

Thanks greatly for any input.

2. JFace

JFace

Apr 17, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    How does it sound with the low end cut a little? My GK 2001RB sends too much bass even for my mesa 412, so I cut it to about 10 o'clock. Sounds balanced like that. If you send a lot of low end to the 10's, they'll fart.

I've seen people add a 15" to that exact setup and it works a lot better. I know adding a 15" to my 2-10" combo really helped out. I don't think changing speakers will help a ton, but adding some bigger ones, and working out the eq will definitely help.

3. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    It sounds like your new bass just has higher output, so you need to adjust your gain staging. No need to buy any new gear. If your head has an active pad, turn it on, otherwise try simply backing off on the gain and turning up the master volume to compensate.

4. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Heavey, Growly sound - from a 2x10 combo ? and a 5 string ? and the combo is 8 years old and something like what 280 or 300 watts - that would be 700 RB not an RB II I think... Gee you don't want much...

Actually it probably isn't the amp - it's the cabinet. I expect you're just asking more of a 2x10 combo style cab than is reasonable. As I see it you have 2 choices.. turn down - or at least turn down the bass control (lo bass or contour) OR open your wallet ...

5. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I agree with 4Mal that you're probably just asking too much of that 2x10 combo, especially with the 700RB and not the newer, more monstrous 700RB-II. Add just about any good, efficient eight ohm extension cab -- 2x10, 1x15, or maybe even 1x12 -- and I expect you'll find a huge improvement.

6. rdh190

rdh190

Sep 25, 2008
    Thanks guys! This was the feedback I was looking for. I never had a hard time with my 4-string Peavey but it doesn't have a very demanding ... umm.. attack or frequency spectrum like the Warwick.

The Warwick does have higher gain. HOWEVER I did remedy that, getting distortion when I crank it.

Thanks again guys.

7. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    Out of curiosity, is it a US Cirrus? I'm just asking because I have a Thumb and not only does my Cirrus have about half again as much output as the Wick, but its "frequency spectrum" ( I guess you mean absolute highs and lows you can coax of of it) isn't somehow any less demanding than my Warwick.

8. rdh190

rdh190

Sep 25, 2008
    My apologies, I'm bad with technical audio terms. If I understand your comment correctly, you're saying 1) that your Thumb bass has more gain than the Cirrus, I am definitely seeing the same thing btwn my Cirrus and Corvette. 2) that you don't gather how the hi and low Hz could be broader on the Cirrus over the Warwick.

My Cirrus always gave a nice neutral tone, pretty smooth yet crisp when needed. Certainly no crazy, heavy punch to it. But with the Warwick I'd like my amp to be able to release the heavy, growly tone of my Wick (in this case being more the attack I believe.. ?) and that's not happening. I mentioned frequency spectrum previously trying to somehow convey that (not sure without seeing a true frequency spectrum) the Warwick, to my ametuer ears, appears to be laying out a pretty thick spectrum of frequencies.