Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Uh, can't get to my hotmail...Anyone care to help??

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Selta, Jul 24, 2005.

1. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Ok, so I've had this problem for 2 days now. Anytime I try to access my hotmail account, I can't. My browser's (Opera) built in e-mail client can't (get an error of invalid password), and when I try to go through the web, it times out (I can get to hotmail.com, but when I type in my login info, that's when it times out). I haven't installed any new software lately, and AdAware as well as Spybot are showing my system as clean. Anyone have any suggestions? :confused: I'm confused as heck here, and I have to get to my e-mail... thanks!

-Ray

2. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
  3. I got this smae thing too! I just made sure there were not any other users signed into the passport. So if there are other people checking their email on your PC, make sure they are all logged out. Then sign in to your passport, and then your email. This worked for me anyways. Hope it helps.

4. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Daft, I can get to that page... not sure what you want me to do with it :p.
    Pete, no one else uses my computer. How do I make sure no one else is signed in? I do know my password is correct, as I can still sign into MSN Messenger...

-Ray :mad:

5. IIRC, when it says wrong password, hit the sign out button. Yeah, actualy, just sign completely out of everything (the passport mainly) and re-sign into everything.

6. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Still a no-go :(. I now get a message about an unsigned certificate when I try to access it... wth is going on? So confused!

-Ray

7. hmm. im out of ideas. hope it works out for you. good luck!

8. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Ok, I can access everything else in passport/MSN when I sign in, just not hotmail. This also happens in Internet Explorer, so I know it's not my browser... tonigh I'm going to try it from another computer and see what happens... in the mean time, any other suggestions?

-Ray

9. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    This is really starting to pi** me off! I have to get to my e-mail ASAP :(. Anyone??

-Ray

10. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    have a trusted TB member check it for you? (for the time being if it's really urgent)

i don't know. maybe a problem with hotmail.

11. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
  12. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    I've run three different spyware programs now (SpyBot Search and Destroy, AdAware and the MS one), to no avail... even going back to an eralier restore point doesn't resolve the problem. Anyone have any idea what's going on?

-Ray

13. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Run BHODemon(google for it) and see if someting suspicious is going on with IE. The apps you listed don't always see what BHODemon can.

Hope this helps,

14. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    OK, let me post everything I've done up until now. I'm going to do that BHODemon as soon as it downloads...
    -Killing every task that is not system critical.
    -Running Spybot Search and Destroy, AdAware, and Microsoft's antispyware agent, and according to all three, my computer is clean.
    -I tried different browsers/clients. I primarily use Opera, but I also tried Internet Explorer and Netscape. Opera has a built in mail client, it also cannot access my e-mail. Outlook express also does not access it. When I try I.E., the page times out, when I try Opera, it just sits there (it shows in the progress bar that 409B of info has been transferred, and that the connection is there). Both e-mail clients (Opera's and Outlook Express) just cannot connect period.
    -I tried restoring my computer back, first a couple of days, then a couple of weeks.
    -I checked every setting in I.E. and Opera, and everything is fine.

-Ray

Edit:
    BHODemon is showing nothing out of the ordinary.

15. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    When you get the message about an unsigned certificate, do you hit OK or cancel? This might have something to do with hotmail's SSL certificate. They may need to renew their certificate with their CA.

Also, have you tried wiping all cookies and history in either Opera or IE?

16. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    I've tried both OK and cancel :meh:.
    I cleared Opera's cache and history and even cookies. I didn't do anything with I.E.'s, cos well, today was the first day I ever used it. I'll give it a shot anyway though... I'm desperate. :(. Thanks.

-Ray

17. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Well, as suddenly as it stopped working, it has started to work. Thanks for the help guys...

-Ray

18. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    So my pagan chicken sacrifice at the altar of gmail must've worked then! :D

19. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    chicken comes in pagan now ?

ew , watch out colonel , im about to get all creapic on yo ass! :ninja:

20. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Hey thanks, I found out today GMail now supports Opera, which made me very happy. I might ditch hotmail and go to GMail exclusive. Dunno, will have to see. Thanks for the sacrifice, I owe you one chicken now. ;)

-Ray