Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Uh oh, 6 string dilemma Conklin vs. Mod

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fretless5verfan, Sep 11, 2002.

1. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    As most of you already know i've been shopping around for a six string for quite some time now. well thanks to the lottery i have near 3 grand to spend and somehow i've mananged to narrow it down to two options:

1) Modulus walnut Q6, gold hardware, EMGs, composite fretboard

2) Conklin "New Century" cellophane black Club model, satin chrome finish hardware, EMGs, ebony fretboard

Both of these basses are amazing and i really just cant decide. And of course i don't wnat to realize i made the wrong decsion two years down the road...then again i figure i can't go wrong either way...but...AHHHH!! you see my problem:)

So i figure, hey let the TB community decide for me.

Differences: conklin is 400 more, but will be more unique. The modulus would get here quicker because it's already built.

There ya go. Help me out guys:)

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
  3. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Well, what can I say? I wish I had your problems!:D:D

4. Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    i wouldve jumped all over that JT. but i cant get over how much i dislike that weird burst color. besides, why would i want to go used when i could get a new one thats fitted to my specs?(im really asking)

5. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Is the Modulus *solid* walnut or a veneer? Walnut sounds like maple -- bright! Is that what you want? The Conklin comes swamp ash (which I prefer because it sounds richer).

What's the string spacing on the Modulus? Have you tried other basses with *that* spacing? You like it? How 'bout the Conk? You like what it has?

You like EMG's? They do tend to be a little bright also. Barts are supposed to be a little richer, but again it's a matter of what YOU want. The website says the Conk Club is only available with Bartolinis... how'd you get the EMG's?

What electronics (pre-amp) is on the Modulus? Is it right for you? I would probably spring the $200 for the 3-band on the Conk.

OK, disclaimer: I really like Conklin. I have two Groove Tools 7's (Swamp Ash & Barts) and I love 'em to death. They were mass-produced in Korea. Imagine what the American handmade New Century's are like. I'm drooling on my keyboaard just TYPING about it.

BUT: Since this is the only shot you're gonna get for a while (can't count on winning TWICE), ya gotta be REAL sure you're getting what you want. You need to call Conklin and see if you can make any changes to the string spacing or the pickups -- the website says they're keeping the costs down by limiting the options available.

So, my (hopelessly biased) vote? Make sure you know everything you possibly can about each; then you'll know which one you want.

Let us know how you come down, K?

6. Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    whew lotsa questions haha

the walnut is a top on the modulus the back is alder

i'm a fan of both string spacings

I am a fan of the EMGs. they seem to be the best pickup for my Prog sound. and bill will put any kind of pickup in it you want if you just ask. (very cool guy) and no charge if they aren't Aero's or something haha.

I am springing for the 3-band and its in the price already. the mod pre-amp worked up to my expectations as far as i got to try it out, but i really wont be sure until i own it for a while ya know?

ive done all the research my eyes and feet could handle for em haha. the conklin i cant hear before hand being that the EMGs are a custom option as is the fingerboard. judging by the mix of the emgs brightness and the swampash richness its "one of those sounds i have in my head" haha.

as of now i'm leaning slighlty toward the conklin

7. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    there is a USA Conklin around that has the rmc system with the 13 pin jack- i wouldve been all over it- but I have the Roscoe 6 coming and thats it for me afte the F bass and the MTD- Im done- if you are interested email me and ill send you the address- peace, Adrian

8. Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    what exactly is this rmc thing? i dont' know anything about it whatsoever.

9. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    that bass at bassnw would cost _a lot_ more new than it does used. like 2x. at least.

10. Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    oh really? But wouldn't it cost more solely because its a custom? (meaning all the extra care that the customs get)

11. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i don't know what you mean. all the american made conklins get the same care, afaik. there's 2 guys at conklin guitars, bill and mike. they make everything by hand and small machine - all the necks of both the custom basses and the new century instruments are all hand carved. all the bodies are done by hand too.

that paint job, the pickups and electronics and the piezos in that bass are all one of a kind.

12. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    www.rmcpickup.com

it's a piezo system that also has the ability to send c-v output from the instrument to a compatible synthesizer brain, in effect giving you the ability to play synth along with your bass. not cheezy synth like what you get from a pedal, but real, usable sounds from good synth brains, depending on the c-v tracking unit you are using.

13. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    With the awareness that a decision like this is totally subjective, I would not hesitate to choose the Modulus. I own three Roscoe's (2 sixers and a seven), a Ken Smith sixer and two Modulus Q6's. Of the Mod's, my favorite bass is the one with EMG's and composite board. I bought it from TBer Adrian Garcia and it's easily my favorite. Suits me perfectly and that's while stacked up against some pretty good basses that I have on-hand. It's hard to say what it is that makes a bass "the one." But when you find it, your search is pretty much over. Good luck.

14. Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    well, ive done some serious thinking. being rational about the situation i think i'm not going to go with either of the new basses and buy the conk six string off of bass nw as JT suggested. I really don't like the looks of the thing, but the past owner sent me an email about it and has convinced me that the bass is a little more than what i originally wanted at a little lower price.

but keep the feedback comming. I want to hear all your takes on this:)

15. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    you could always get it repainted - it would still be cheaper than trying to get a new one with those stats.