Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

uh oh... A POLL!!! FAVE KING CRIMSON disc

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by frederic b. hodshon, Aug 21, 2001.

1. in the court of the crimson king

7 vote(s)
    18.4%
  2. in the wake of poseiden

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. islands

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  4. lizard

3 vote(s)
    7.9%
  5. earthbound

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. larks tongues in aspic

2 vote(s)
    5.3%
  7. starless and bible black

3 vote(s)
    7.9%
  8. red

6 vote(s)
    15.8%
  9. usa

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. discipline

11 vote(s)
    28.9%
  11. beat

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. 3 of a perfect pair

2 vote(s)
    5.3%
  13. vroom

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  14. thrak

2 vote(s)
    5.3%
  15. thrak attack

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    ok,

in light of the PF poll, here's one for KING CRIMSON.

let see if i can list them all from memory.

i'm gonna keep it listed up to 3 of a perfect pair...kinda lost track avter vroom, thrak, etc..

although, THRAK ATTACK can level a mountain.

fred

2. Dude, you've got to hear the ProjeKCts stuff; get Deception of the Thrush (1-CD condensed version of the 4-CD ProjeKCts box set) immediately. Pat Mastelotto is an ueber-drummer: not as flashy as Bruford, but way more propulsive.

The most recent studio album, The ConstruKCtion of Light, is pretty weak--all of the tracks are either second-rate Belew songs or retreads of old Crimson tracks. The live album, Heavy ConstruKCtion, has badass improvs--the third CD is nothing but improvs, and damn if they aren't heavy as hell. Much tighter and more organic than the often-sludgy mess that was THRaKaTTaK. Trey Gunn is a revelation on these albums; his tone is killer and he's incredibly aggressive.

I'm waiting for the new studio stuff--they've been testing it out on the road with Tool and fan reaction from both Crimheads and Toolers has been very positive.

I still love Discipline, though. Hell, even my mother likes it.

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I like quite few, but I had to vote for "Islands", just for the track "A Sailor's Tale". When I first heard it I thought - how on earth did Fripp do that!! And I still think this every time I hear it. If there's one KC track that everybody should hear it's this one.

I also like Boz Burrell's bass playing and am always incredulous that he was just a singer before this and Fripp taught him bass in the studio!

4. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Well, I went with Lark's Tongue in Aspic, only because of the impact it had on me. I'd be really hard pressed to pick a favorite - they're all unique in their own way. I actually like The ConstruKction of Light a lot, although it does seem to cover a lot of what King Crimson has come to represent. I just saw the band on the opening night of their current tour last month, and I have to agree that this line-up is as strong as any other they've had. "Level 5" is one of the new songs they're working up for Nouveau Metal, and it's pretty intense. I find different songs on each release I have that stand out. Agree with Bruce on "Sailor's Tale", but also include "Ladies Of The Road" for it's nerve-racking out-of-tune guitar solo. I'm one of the few who like Beat a whole lot. I managed to snag a couple of the DGM Club CD's - interesting to hear these guys in a different context.

5. Bruce Lindfield

I do like the other tracks on the album and the one you mention is great; but there is no problem with how he does that out-of-tune solo - or should we say musical representation of an orgasm!! ;)

But I have no idea how he gets that banjo-like sound on the guitar solo in Sailor's Tale and the huge "wall of sound" guitar that comes in towards the end after the faster drum part. It's just one of the most awesome sounds in the whole of recorded music.

6. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    If I remember, they recorded "Sailors Tale" with 3 different signals - one miked, one direct, and one mike placed several feet away from the amp to capture ambient tones.

Wasn't Islands a vague concept album that dealt entirely with sex?

7. Bruce Lindfield

I'm not sure about any details, but I do know that when I listen to this track on headphones, the string mellotron part sounds as if it is coming from outside my head - quite eerie!

The banjo-like thing is more to do with the actual technique, I think and it's also a question of being stunned by the imagination Fripp applies to guitar playing - he just sound so original and different to any other guitar player. It's just as much : "how did he ever think of doing that?"

8. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Probably recorded on two split signals, then used out-of-phase cables for the effects. Run one signal to each side of the spectrum, then apply the effects to both in the center. The end result is a cancellation of the different signals in the center. It's a very subtle, but neat trick to expand the perceived sound of a single instrument.

9. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado
    I have to choose Starless and Bible Black. What a powerful album. The Great Deceiver had me hooked. Maybe it's my favorite because it was the first King Crimson album that I ever purchased, a long time ago.

10. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I voted just bassed on Sleepless

11. I just listened to "In the Court of King Crimson" (my first KC album) and I thought it was REALLY good. I'm probably gonna get some more stuff from these guys. :)

12. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    well, since you've started at the beginning....well, sort of, some credit THE CHEERFUL INSANITY OF GILES, GILES, AND FRIPP as the first KC lp....it might be interesting to move chronologically through their catalogue.

the next release IN THE WAKE OF POSEIDON has one of my fave KC tunes: CAT FOOD.

AND one of my favorite pianists: KEITH TIPPETT!

fred

13. Thirdstar

Thirdstar

Jun 7, 2001
    Houston Tx.
    Ok, all of you guys that were around when Lark's Tongues in Aspic came out, I need your help. Tell me why most consider it the definitive Crimson album. And why does everyone rave about LTIA part II? Tell me what to listen for so i can enjoy this just as much as you guys seem too. (and no i'm not being sarcastic, im just genuinly confused.)

My vote for best Crimson album is a three-way tie between Heavy ConstruKction, In the Court of The Crimson King and Discipline. Itcotck was just something apart from what we know as music. I was sixteen when i heard it, and somehow i'm different now that i have lived with it in my life up until now. It was just powerful. Discipline has had the most influence on my playing. Heavy ConstruKction is music to ponder and it sorta says: Be VERY afraid, cuz you couldn't play this if you tried.

14. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Prior to the release of LTIA, King Crimson was a multi-instrumental unit that used a lot of layers and Robert Fripp stayed back in the mix. With LTIA, Fripp was really in the foreground, and the musical dynamics were astounding (still the most intense in my book). The band had made a transition from the subtle to the profoundly bombastic. They had opened up a raw side that, coupled with the complexity they are known for, presented a side of "progressive rock" that no-one had even come close to suggesting. Until this release, progressive rock had been lumped into a sort of "classical meets rock" vein. And although King Crimson didn't necessarily change that, they presented it in a very aggressive manner. It was classical structure, with a very brutal approach.
    The thing about "Lark's Tongue in Aspic, Pt. II" is that it's a very rock-oriented interpretation/fusion of Bartok's 2nd Concerto and Stravinski's "Rite Of Spring". The band crafted a piece that strikes a nerve even to this day.
    FWIW, Discipline is another of their releases that just astounds me when I hear it.

15. Bruce Lindfield

Well , I was around when that came out and was a fan of "In the Court of..", "Islands" etc. and was generally into Yes, Genesis, Led Zep etc.

A friend of mine bought Larks Tongues and there were about 5 or 6 of us who used to get together and listen to albums. I think we all hated it and found it deadly boring. In fact the friend who bought it said that after a while he found the large scratch(vinyl only then!) on side 2 to be the most interesting thing that happened on that whole side! ;)

I used to go to a big club on the seafront in Brighton every weekend that played heavy and progressive rock music - eveybody gets out of their heads and plays air guitar - at about the time that LTIA came out and one of the highlights of every evening was always 21st Century Schizoid man - they even played a Todd Rungren album track that lasted 30 minutes once!! But they woudln't play LTIA!

16. "Larks' II" is great because, well, it rocks. The contrast between the fuzzed and clean sections is magnificent, and the crazy violin solo in the F-G-Ab vamp section is awesome.

It should bear noting that Fripp has mentioned that "Larks' II" is supposed to be a musical representation of (very brief) intercourse. Presumably, "The Talking Drum" is supposed to be the foreplay. ;) Gweimer, I wouldn't be surprised if Islands is about sex.

17. Bruce Lindfield

Islands is very explicitly about sex amongst other things - Lark's tongues is instrumental and fairly dull! I can listen to Islands over and over, but have no desire to listen to LTIA again.

18. I don't have much frame of reference since I don't have all of KC's discs but I am fairly fond of Thrak. Especially since it contains one of the few love songs I melt to, "Walking on Air".

Just my .02

Vivian
    aka RomperStomper

19. All the Wetton stuff is great, but I have to go with Red. Great material (no filler like the others).

It's a shame Fripp broke the band up after this disc; Ian McDonald played on the disc, and seemed on the verge of re-joining.

20. Thirdstar

Thirdstar

Jun 7, 2001
    Houston Tx.
    Well, personally i think it was time to move on after Red. Given, from a bass standpoint, all of those albums were excellent, but they were becoming none-progressive. Crimson in progressive, whether Fripp likes it or not, so therefore it probably would have rendered that incarnation of Crimson pointless and repetitive.
    IMHO at least. Course i wasn't alive at the time so i wouldn't really know;)