Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Uh-Oh Bass Newbie Here!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by ScrappyJ, Jan 11, 2006.

1. ScrappyJ

ScrappyJ

Jan 11, 2006
    Michigan
    Hey all what's up. I'm new to these forms here and I got a few questions maybe you guys could help me out with. I'm pretty new to bass although I've had mine for a few years now, I just picked it up again. Anyways, I was wondering if you guys could tell me what what presence,middle,and treble mean on my amp. Also, if any of you know any good beginner bass songs let me know. I can play a few songs like Money, Blister in the Sun,Carousel(blink-182), Longview and a few others, but I would like to learn some not too hard ska songs :) Well sorry for rambling on cya later.

2. ScrappyJ

ScrappyJ

Jan 11, 2006
    Michigan
    P.S. I also need information on strings i.e. thick or thin ones, what sort of strings are there etc.

3. Presence, middle and treble on your amp are the "equalizer" I assume it also has one marked "bass"? bass boosts or cuts bassy signals, middle boosts or cuts the middle of the signal and so on. I think that presence upper middle? or was it above treble? I can't remember.

4. afinalfantasy

afinalfantasy Banned

Jan 11, 2006
    If you want some easy songs to learn try

"Devil in Jersey City" - Coheed and Cambria
    "Killing in the Name" - Rage Against the Machine
    "Nothing Else Matters" - Metallica
    "For Whom the Bell tolls" - Metallica

For strings, it depends on what type of music you play. If you play in standard tuning and what have you, a normal guage would be fine. If you like to downtune alot, heavier strings are better