1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Uh-Oh Bass Newbie Here!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by ScrappyJ, Jan 11, 2006.

1. ScrappyJ

ScrappyJ

Jan 11, 2006
    Michigan
    Hey all what's up. I'm new to these forms here and I got a few questions maybe you guys could help me out with. I'm pretty new to bass although I've had mine for a few years now, I just picked it up again. Anyways, I was wondering if you guys could tell me what what presence,middle,and treble mean on my amp. Also, if any of you know any good beginner bass songs let me know. I can play a few songs like Money, Blister in the Sun,Carousel(blink-182), Longview and a few others, but I would like to learn some not too hard ska songs :) Well sorry for rambling on cya later.

2. ScrappyJ

ScrappyJ

Jan 11, 2006
    Michigan
    P.S. I also need information on strings i.e. thick or thin ones, what sort of strings are there etc.

3. Presence, middle and treble on your amp are the "equalizer" I assume it also has one marked "bass"? bass boosts or cuts bassy signals, middle boosts or cuts the middle of the signal and so on. I think that presence upper middle? or was it above treble? I can't remember.

4. afinalfantasy

afinalfantasy Banned

Jan 11, 2006
    If you want some easy songs to learn try

"Devil in Jersey City" - Coheed and Cambria
    "Killing in the Name" - Rage Against the Machine
    "Nothing Else Matters" - Metallica
    "For Whom the Bell tolls" - Metallica

For strings, it depends on what type of music you play. If you play in standard tuning and what have you, a normal guage would be fine. If you like to downtune alot, heavier strings are better