1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Uh oh... GC doing 12 month 0% financing on Fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Visirale, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    I have a strong feeling I'll be getting an American Standard Precision 5 today!

2. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    Not that it would be particularly hard to pay off like $1100 in a year, but I always wondered what the interest is like after that year? How much do they slam you in the fine print? Just wonderin'.

3. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando

Oh it's an all out interest rape fest after that.

I have the cash for all of it... but when it's 0% it's just so nice to pay it off slowly over the year, hah. The wallet pain is spread out over a more manageable time.

4. mark beem

mark beem Wait, how does this song start again?? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    ZOIKS!! :eek:

May have to drive to Nashville and pick up an American Standard P bass 5 string!

5. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Financing seems like a scary thing to do with the world economy in the state that it is now. :meh:

Having that said, if I was in the US I'd probably not be able to stop myself from getting something. :p

6. ohskigod

ohskigod

May 5, 2008
    the financing issue is more scary for the lender. if they approve your financing and have the bass in your hand, your worry is pretty much over (well, except actually paying it :) )

7. Lefty Geek

Lefty Geek

Feb 13, 2006
    NYC
    It would be cheaper to buy tax-free from the net instead of purchasing with 0% financing and investing the savings.

8. mark beem

mark beem Wait, how does this song start again?? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    But we're not talking about that much money here...

$1199* @ 9.35%** tax is only adding $112.00.. That's only $9.33333333 per month... Not many investment opportunities with that...

*Price of an American Standard P 5 string from Musician's Fiend

** From FairTaxation.org using Tennessee's national sales tax average which is the highest in the states...

9. BWB

BWB

Aug 30, 2000
    Knoxville TN
    It indicates desperation on their part.

When you have to offer 0% financing on something that costs US$1000, there is no better indication that retail sales in the USA have gone completely down the drain.

Edit: on "their" part, I was referring to Fender. Not that there is anything wrong with Fender basses! I love mine.

10. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    A GC manager told me that whatever you do, pay it off in year because the interest will be 22%.

That said 0% is tempting. I may pick up a Fender Jazz Deluxe V myself. Just to be on the safe side, if I did get it, I would still pay about half off upfront because you never know if something will come up and wreck your budget in a few months.:bag:

11. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    You'll be seeing a lot of these types of financing deals as the economy continues to tank. Just don't be even 2 seconds late making those payments though, standard rate is probably 21.5% (default APR ~ 24%). Try to get it set up as an auto payment from your bank account to avoid the fees, you'll likely be getting billed with less than 14 days notice each month.

Good way to get your hands on a Fender for cheap monthly payments, though .... just pay on time or you'll get clobbered ..... ;)

edit: from the GC page " If purchase not paid in full or Account not kept current, Finance Charges assessed from purchase date and Minimum Monthly Payments required. Variable APRs as of 9/29/08: Standard Rate APR: 21.9%; Default Rate APR: 24.9%." (BOLD added)

Yup, don't be late on a payment .... :help:

12. Moondance360

Moondance360

Oct 1, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    GC in Scranton, Pa. is not that desperate. Three days ago, they refused to budge on the price of a GK Neo 410 cab. Even after I showed the clerk the cash and asked if they are sellers or collectors. I guess they are collectors. :(

13. skeptikal

skeptikal

Jan 24, 2008
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I bought my Markbass CMD121P with 0% financing. Granted it's half paid off by now but it's just so nice with 12 months of no interest. Love it. I'll probably be buying another bass when this is paid off ;)

14. or maybe it is going to be a successful marketing plan??
    i think they have been here and know how much GAS it would generate :bag:

15. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA

I've seen the same promotions prior to the current state of the economy. Huges markup on gear too, so they're not losing money.

16. Go for it that's what I did with my '08' MIA Jazz V. I don't care, I wanted the bass, I got the bass I wanted, so I'm very happy.;)

17. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    Well I went into GC and they said they didn't know anything about it. I try my best to be fair with GC, but they do have issues... They could really use better communication between the upper levels and the stores.

18. Shelly

Shelly

Jul 12, 2006
    Brighton, Michigan
    No kidding...it's only smack dab in the middle of their website.

19. TMacATK

TMacATK

Jul 9, 2008
    Davis, CA
    Unfortunately, their corporate policy has recently changed to fixed pricing and they no longer have the ability to get you a deal, even on used junk.

After all, they do have the lowest prices in the nation already. ;)

20. Man, sorry to hear that, that sounds pretty ridiculous if you ask me. What is it, GC advertises the promotion, but doesn't know any thing about it? Don't get it.:rolleyes::spit: