Uh oh... I think my small rig is too small!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by junglebike, Mar 8, 2003.

1. junglebike

junglebike Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    I gigged my new Cxl110 cab using a borrowed Gallien-Krueger 800RB (300W) head last night.

While it's certainly a big improvement over my Acoustic Image, and I *love* the tone, I couldn't really keep up with our 5-piece band, even with the drummer using brushes (aggressively).

So... my original plan was to get another cxl110 and run them with a Stewart 1.2. Now I'm worried I won't have enough speaker.

How much difference will another 110 make?

Any suggestions? Should I

1. Get the other 110
    2. Sell the 110 and buy a 410 or something bigger
    3. Add a 115 or something...

2. Is weight/portability an issue for you?

If so, I would reccommend going for the 410, or 115, depending on the tone you want.

If lbs./port. is an issue, or something you'd consider. Have you considered a 210 or a 112 or a 212? They're very portable with nice midway tone between a 10 and a 15.

The thing about getting another 110 is that the two 110 might not sound that nice together, one's sound might bleed into another or they might clash. If you get a 210, you're basically buying the same setup, only you know how the two speakers will sound together.

hope that helps.

Edit:Actually, if they're from the same manufacturer, you probably won't have that problem.
  3. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    Get the other 1x10. Doubling the speaker area should improve headroom and volume quite a bit. If you stack them you get an extra 6 db's which should be a big improvement.
  4. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    Getting another CXL110 is a good idea, however a GK 800RB is only 200 watts @ 8 ohms. When I first got mine I used a Walter Woods Hi Power which is 300 watts @ 8 ohms and one CXL110 did an excellent in a 7 piece band pop group. I now use a Walter Woods Ultra Hi Power and it is phenominal considering its size. 2 cabs covers just about any job you'll ever have, but these cabs need power to get the full benefit.

Considering size to performance ratio, the CXL110 is the best cab there is IMHO. I would also recommend the CXL112, outstanding cab and only weighs 39 lbs! Outperforms some 410 cabs!

I would recommend waiting til you get your rig together with your Stewart before making any decisions. It may be you will be tickled pink when you hear the difference more power will make.

EA is committed to building the best portable bass gear. Any combination of 2 CXL110's, or 1 CXL110 for small gigs and a CXL112 for bigger gigs. you won't go wrong!!:bassist:
  5. junglebike

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Cool -- thanks a lot, guys. Looks like getting the other 110 is the way to go.

Power certainly won't be an issue once I get my Stewart 1.2 -- it'll put 600W into each of the 110's in bridged mode.

AND, I can use it as a small stereo PA system, which was my original intention. Guess I just got worried by my last gig. But an additional 6db would probably do it.

I walked back to my car after the gig carrying all my stuff -- 2 basses, backpack, amp in one hand, cab in the other. One trip! Drummer was pissed! I'd rather not have to lug a 410 or something around. Looks like a second 110 should give me the flexibility and volume I need.
  6. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    Hey, quit carrying your stuff and get a portable luggage dolly! Makes it REAL easy!!
  7. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    woah now...

keep in mind, if you plan on pushing the 1.2 to limits, you run the HIGH risk of heat failure. there's no fan, and the heatsinks only do so much. Many gents have faced this. i have not, only cause i'm only using it at 1/3 of the power for my gigs.

but if i'm pushing that little thing up any higher, i usually reach for my Peavey DPC1400x with the variable fan. gives me a much better piece of mind.

invest in the 1.6 w/ its fan, or get the Peavey. you'll thank us later. ;)

btw, what's the makeup of your current band? what kind of music? a 2x10 setup might be better, but if you're doing moderately loud rock 'n roll with 50 watt half stacks, that aint gonna cut it. besides, you're going from a 1x10 to a 4x10?!?! i think its time we think thru what you need and what you wouldnt need.

like you said, the last thing you wanna do is carry waaaaay too much equipment when you dont have to.
  8. junglebike

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Well I got the 1.2 instead of the 1.6 because...

it's smaller
    it's cheaper
    they're both WAY more power than I need.

The EA cabs are only rated to handle like 350W continuous, so I won't be running the 1.2 at much more than half power, if that, in the worst-case.

And, I already bought the 1.2 :) it's on the way... maybe I can rig up a fan to cool the sinks if I need it.

We're not really a loud band. I'm competing with a drummer who occasionally uses a full kit, an acoustic guitar into a SWR Blonde amp (the big one), keys, and 3 vox.

I certainly think a 410 would be overkill. Part of my original plan with this rig was that eventually I could get a big-ass cab for big spaces if I really needed it.

Thanks for the advise. I'll think if my 1.2 as a 600W amp with extra headroom.
  9. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    oh ok, then you're golden.

and yea, a 4x10 would be mad overkill. having just another 1x10 along with your current one, would make a killer little setup for you. the dual 1x10's will punch thru the keys left hand shananigans better than a 1x12 or 1x15.

good luck!
  10. RichBriere

RichBriere Guest

Jan 1, 2003
    Upstate NY
    I'm often amused by the "weight factor" that has become an issue with bass players. In my "prime" I carried, set up and used: 4 SVT 8x10 bottoms, 2 SVT heads, 1 V4B head, 1 V4B 2x15 bottom, 4 basses, Taurus pedals and all of the assorted junk that went with it. A "luggage carrier"??!! Everything in "ONE TRIP"?! Are we not MEN??!! :bawl:

11. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

but you try carrying that Ampeg rig onto a packed M2 line bus, or A train, or cramped taxi cab around 6:30 during rush hour. not a pretty picture.
  12. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    I'd sell the 110...go for a 410. Your amp will sound much fuller IMO.
  13. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
  14. RichBriere

RichBriere Guest

Jan 1, 2003
    Upstate NY
  15. junglebike

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Yeah... I feel no urge to impress anyone with the size of my... uh... rig.

As a band, we've been working very hard to lower our stage volume. It reduces feedback, allows us all to play with more nuance, and makes the whole sound situation much more controlable. Less time loading means more time for the sound check.
  16. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    now, if everyone in my bands could only think the same... :(
  17. junglebike

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Well, we don't have an electric guitarist, so that makes it easier. :D

It's the damned guitar amps. They sound like crap unless they're loud enough to drive an arena. People need to start gigging with Fender Champs. Seriously.
  18. Or they could quit whining about how they can't perfectlyexactlycompletely cop Jimi's/Clapton's/Duane's/EVH's/Randy's tone with a POD, and enter the 21st century at a reasonable volume.

That won't happen anytime soon, though :rolleyes:

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    HA! I totally agree!:)

I also agree with the second CXL110. That is probably your best option. If you did't already have one, I would probably have recommended the CXL112, or an Aguilar GS112.
  20. Just a little correction: the CXL-112 is 49 lbs.