Uh oh...I think

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ferniff, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Ferniff

Ferniff

Jul 11, 2010
    Queens, NYC
    So I was browsing around ebay for a Rickenbacker and I saw a used one that was supposedly used by Panic at the Disco. It had buy it now for 1,750 or make an offer. I decided to make an offer for 1700, not thinking it would've gone through.

It did. I want to be happy but I didnt expect to buy a Rickenbacker so soon. However this is the cheapest price I have seen anywhere. And yeah I know "a used Ric' can go for 1100" but I have yet to see one even for 1500.

Long story short...guess who accidentally joined the Rickenbacker club.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rickenbacker-40...d-/130448351557?pt=Guitar&hash=item1e5f53e145

2. Woo Hoo!! Congrats! Play the heck out of it and be happy. They're not made of glass and secretly like to be played hard.

Btw, Midnight Blue is the best color, but your FG is still real pretty!

3. Ferniff

Ferniff

Jul 11, 2010
    Queens, NYC
    I think I"m starting to get buyer's remorse. Can anyone try to convince myself that I did the right thing? $1780 for a used Ric supposedly used by a popular band is not a bad price...right?

4. jgparm

jgparm

Sep 27, 2007
    Southern Missouri
    That is awesome. Congrats.

5. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    Relax and enjoy it....as long as you can afford it.....I had one "just like it"...1989 vinatge....these are GREAT basses!

Play it for a while and see what you think....you can always resell it later...

6. Dude... You're gonna love it. Trust me, I'm an anonymous source on the internet.

7. Dub56

Dub56

May 28, 2005
    Kansas
    Well, you can definitely pick them up for anywhere from 1300-1600, but Fireglo would most likely be more $$$ than Jetglo or Mapleglo. I still wouldn't want to go that much for a used one personally, but you didn't do too bad. As long as you like it and it's a nice one, you should be set.

I don't think it being owned by someone from that band would add much to the value, especially with no verification (I didn't see any) but it depends on the buyer.

Do you know what year it is? I didn't see a year listed. Are you new to Rickenbackers? If you are, I'm hoping you get a neck profile you like, because they've changed throughout the recent years. There is also the push/pull pot for the "vintage" tone circuit on models after 2006 or so.

8. tinman 1967

tinman 1967

Mar 6, 2010
    Yep! The old..... "I decided to make an offer...... not thinking it would go through!"

Are you married? Maybe you can explain it that way to your spouse?

The old FG Rick could be confiscated as a murder weapon.:)

Congratulations on your bass! I would love a FG Rick myself!

And thanks for the good laugh!!! I love your honesty here!!:smug:

9. Ferniff

Ferniff

Jul 11, 2010
    Queens, NYC
    Well I had planned on buying one regardless in 2010. It was going to be a present for myself for clearing my credit card debt...by paying for it with my credit card. At least I can assure myself that I do have a stable job.

10. superiorpine

superiorpine Superiorpine Gold Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2007
    Milwaukee WI
    its done....no crying over spilt money. looks great in the pics, and you don't have to worry about putting the first ding in it. yours to have and to hold, love it to death my bass playing colleague! if it was good enough for Sir Paul, its good enough for anybody.....

11. marlond

marlond

Jun 23, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Don't feel bad...

I spent 2k for my Ric:

[​IMG]

I regret nothing!!!!

And looks like yours comes with a really nice case too. That defiantly adds to the value IMO. And if you are really into Panic at the Disco there is even more!!!

Play the hell out of it. And as audiomitch said, they like to be played hard.

12. RaginRog

RaginRog Last guy you want to see is Employee Relations guy

Nov 29, 2009
    Formerly Staten Island
    It's not a bad price....depending on the year...and if it makes you happy. Have you played a Ric before? I owned 3 at one time...but went back to "Fender" camp. If I ever decide to give up gigging, I'm buying a Ric with a contoured body/edges...it's the only thing I didn't like about them. Aside from that...beautiful basses.

13. Ferniff

Ferniff

Jul 11, 2010
    Queens, NYC
    Its been done. Thanks guys for the support, heh.

To Dub56:
    I dont know anything else other than what it says on the ebay page, but I'll definitely message the buyer, I'm hoping its new enough (most likely) to have that vintage button. I know of Panic!' but not too familiar with their stuff, but I like what I've heard. Its really more "bragging rights" to say I own one of their guitars now.

Also where have you seen a Ric for less than $1500, I guess I just don't know where to look. Too late now

To tinman 1967:
    Nope no wife, just a 21 year old aspiring bassist. I did just get into a relationship with a girl who advised me to not buy a 1k+ guitar...whoops.

"if it was good enough for Sir Paul, its good enough for anybody"
    I love that, maybe I'll name it Paul.

14. Ferniff

Ferniff

Jul 11, 2010
    Queens, NYC
    Double post!

Also, anyone really familiar with this band? I cant find pics of any of the band members with a Rickenbacker 4003

15. Alucard817

Alucard817

May 18, 2010
    Tampa,Fla
  16. Dub56

Dub56

May 28, 2005
    Kansas
    It looks like it's probably from after 2006. I'd be interested to know HOW new, because some have fatter necks than others. They slimmed them down at one point.. I can't remember when.

And I bought one on here for under $1500, and saw a couple more, but they weren't FireGlo. I think you did fine, it looks like a nice one.

17. Ferniff

Ferniff

Jul 11, 2010
    Queens, NYC
  18. Martin89

Martin89

Nov 8, 2010
    Glendale, AZ
    Unofficial Endorser: Ibanez, D'Addario, Zoom
    The bassist from Panic has a his own Artist model Squier if that counts for anything...

19. marlond

marlond

Jun 23, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    If it is the same bass... not saying that it is not...

It was owned by old bass player Brent Wilson (2004–2006):

Brent+Wilson.

panic-at-the-disco-20051018104233248-000.

20. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    I've made transactions on ebay like this several times. The last time I put in a bid like this (I was drunk), I ended up buying a motorcycle.

The flight case alone is, what... somewhere around $300?

$1,780 for that Ric is ok. With the flight case, it's better than ok. Think of the people who buy them brand new.