Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Uh, Oh NWB at it again... an 80s poll!! 80s bass!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NewWaveBasser, Jan 25, 2002.

THE 80s bass

Poll closed Sep 17, 2003.
  1. Steinberger (XL-2)

51 vote(s)
    30.2%
  2. Kubicki (X-Factor)

14 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. Aria (Pro II)

11 vote(s)
    6.5%
  4. Yamaha (BB1500)

6 vote(s)
    3.6%
  5. Spector (NS line)

22 vote(s)
    13.0%
  6. Ibanez (Musician/Roadstar...)

17 vote(s)
    10.1%
  7. Jackson

9 vote(s)
    5.3%
  8. BC Rich (Mockingbird, Warlock... )

27 vote(s)
    16.0%
  9. Other (name on post but don't freak out please)

12 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. OK so I'm bored and I reminisce about them eighties...

...and I thought HEY!

While Fender, Gibson, and Rickenbacker basses have always been there...

There were some basses and brands that were truly a trademark of eighties bassdom. So I thought why not AN 80S BASS POLL!!??

Check out the choices (I may have missed a few) for

THE eighties bass!

2. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Gotta go with B.C. Rich. So many neon colored Rich's in the 80's

3. I'd pick the Aria SB1000 -John Taylor (Duran Duran), Bruce Foxton(The Jam), Cliff Burton, I read somewhere that Jack Bruce used one too- but hardly anyone uses them now.

Steinberger cricket bat in second place- users Sting, Bill Wyman, Geddy Lee.

4. progplayer

progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    KUBICKI X-FACTOR. Well I bought it in 1995 used and then it got stolen but according to the serial # it was made in 1989 and those were the hip basses of the 80's. Am I correct? Or not....I LOVED that bass man, it was my first "real" bass. And someone took it. Never did find out what or who had it... It was black. I loved that drop D tuning thing. And the tuning machines on the bottom, awesome bass. I never see any Kubicki's anymore, I think they are a thing of the past.....

What about the BUZZ? Is that bass also from the 80's?

5. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    My vote goes to the Kubicki. The ultimate blow-dry yuppie tool bass. When I see it, I think of Magnum PI, Knight Rider, Miami Vice and all that good stuff.

Before you complain, I am a yuppie tool.

Runner up goes to the Steinberger, which covers the '80s during the new wave period, ie. up til about 1985.

What about all those awful pointy-head, candy-colored monstrosities from Charvel/Jackson? Those are the ultimate 80s basses.

6. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I played a Jackson custom sparkle pink metallic with ebony board and the patented death sickle peghead. Jackson's top of the line tone circuit. In hindsight it was hideous, but I liked it at the time. (I also like big hair) It did play like a dream and sounded great as well. It was stolen along with some other nice stuff when my home was burgularized in 1992. Probably a good thing. My band mates all picked in and bought me my first Fender jazz bass.

Chas

7. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Anything pointy and bright.

Mike

8. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I can't help but think of the 80's when I see those little Steinbergers. Spector is a very close second.

9. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I had an Ibanez Musician...still one of the best basses I ever played. Neckthrough, impeccable workmanship, great balance, a very versatile axe with loads of great tones. Mine was the dual pickup version with 3-band preamp and a bunch of switches.

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

It's a 3 way tie.

The Steinberger, the Spector, and something pointy.

The Musician is a very respectable 4th.

11. I still have my Aria pro II SB1000, and just can't sell it, though I don't use it anymore since I got my Stingray5. But I still think it's a great and beautifull bass, especially the playabillity of the neck. And yes, I bought it because John Taylor and Cliff Burton played them!!

12. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    My first good bass was an Ibanez Roadstar, so it gets my vote.

The Steinbergers are a close second.

13. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    My Yamaha <b>BX-1</b> headless. I still play it.

14. mgood

mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    My first bass was a 1987 Carvin V440T. The "T" meant it had the Kahler bass tremolo. It was black with chrome hardware. It had a maple body, maple set-neck, ebony fingerboard, and mother-of-pearl dots. Carvin H13B stacked humbucking pickups, passive electronics with two volumes, one tone, a pickup selector switch, and a phase switch. I added Dunlop Straplocks and supported it with a black leather strap with chrome studs. Damn, I was cool!

The one in this pic is pearl blue with black chrome hardware, but other than that, it's identical to mine.
    [​IMG]

15. My first 2 basses that I learned on was a Steinberger and a Kubicki. I am at a toss up between the two of them.

16. I voted for the Ibanez Musician, because, well, I have a '79 at home, and how could I vote for something else and then go home and look this brown beauty in the headstock?!? :D

A close second for me would be the Yamaha. I fell in love with them as soon as they came out. They sounded more like Fenders than Fenders!

Third would be the Aria, another bass I dreamed about.

If I may, let me add the Gibson RD Artist. Between looks, feel and sound, I do not know why I never bought one.

Opps. Let me tie 3rd with the B.C. Rich Eagle. I had one, sold it, then locked myself in my room for six months.

Another bass I had and loved and sold was an Ovation Magnum. It had a huge humbucker (like an EB-0) at the neck, but, each pole piece had its own little volume control. Then, it had a Jazz style pickup at the bridge that had U shaped pole pieces, supposedly to sense string vibration longer. All I know is that it sounded unbelievable; deep as an organ's pedals, or bright as a piano. :( And it was serial # 00488 ~ one of the first 500 made! I still miss her. (yes, basses are female ) This is why we must treat them with care.

Good weekend all,
    Mike J.

17. 66jazzbass

66jazzbass

Aug 8, 2001
    NY, NY
    I don't think anyone ever thought we'd get nostalgic about the 80's but I guess we were wrong. I voted I banez for kicks but the aluminum neck Kramer was a venerable favorite. I actually had a bass from a new comany purchased in 84 called a Fodera. What ever happened to them, ha, ha....

18. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Boy it's hard to say.

I picked the steinies.

At first for guitars I would say Kramer. Everyone around me who played wanted a Kramer.

Then for basses, I am not as sure. I owned an Aria, but I didn't know many others who did. Almost everyone I met that played bass played a Fender P. I guess it would be the Precision, followed distantly by Steinberger which was tied with anything shiney/pointy.

19. Got to give the big thumbs up to B.C. Rich

Nothing says 80's like the guitars and basses of bands like Motley Crue, Poison, etc.

Although I could not afford the neck through's, I starting buying, and still own 4 american made bolt-ons.

My first is an antique white Eagle, next was a neon pink Warlock, next was a trans pink/puple pearloid Ironbird, and last is a pearl white metallic Mockingbird.

Surprisingly, even after being in their cases for months/years at a time, they are still in tune - with no neck bowing.

Some have been modded with BadAss Bridges and EMG pick-ups, but they sound great. I don't think I will ever get rid of them.

20. Joshua Pickenpaugh

Joshua Pickenpaugh Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2001
    The Midwest of USA
    I give a tie betix the Ibanez Musician and a Peavey Dyna-Bass. I still have my Peavey (my first "real" bass from '87! Candy Apple Red, baby!), and I've got an 8-string Musician. That's my vote!