1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Uh-Oh, Traded My T-Funk for a Epi UL-502!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Jun 1, 2007.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

All-

I traded my TFB-550B for Tomixxx's UL502. I should have it early next week. Good move I hope!?!? The good news is that even if I am not in love with it, I still have a Gibson GB440 and a AMP SL-1 pre-amp (pre-amp section of a BH-420) paired with a Crown XTI-1000 1400 watt amp.

I still LOVE the T-funk sound, but in my last couple of gigs, it just seemed to me that the T-Funk rig (with my UL410) was a bit too focused in the mids and was not musical enough in the lows. In speaking with amp guru and tber JKDahlman, he said that he had heard a 502 live recently and that it pretty much sounded like exactly what I was looking for.

So I can alway have the Funk sound with my other rigs, but now have this option. Thoughts?

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
  3. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    i have a gibson as well, but if i ever were to get the itch for another head that one would be at the top of my list. let us know once you gig it. or maby you better not until i have a chunk of change to spend.

4. I haven't played the 502, but I think you will be happy from all the posts and reviews. While I really like the TF/410UL pairing, it is a mid punch monster, with a very tight low end. I've recently found the Markbass SD800/410UL pairing (and even the LMII/410UL) a little more pleasing in some playing situations with certain instruments, since the MB stuff, like the Epi head, has a wider tone, deeper bass response, and quite a more sizzle on the high end. It just depends what you are looking for.

Let us know how you like it!

K

5. spiritbass

spiritbass

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    I think it's a good move. As you said, you can still get the T-Funk vibe with the SL-1/Crown combination.

Ken - have you had a chance yet to hear Dave's new 'gold chip'?

6. I have not. From what I understand from a couple people who have made the swap, it's very, very subtle. So, I decided not to bother with the change.

K

Edit: TBer Vic was one who made the chip swap, and I don't think he could hear any difference. If he doesn't show up, PM him if you are interested in his impressions and experience with the swap.

7. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Actually, I did, but IMHO it was more subtle than svtb15's opinion. IMHO, the sound was a tiny bit "sweeter" with it, but if I had an older TFB that would require a solder job to swap the chip, and I wasn't a qualified tech, I'm not sure it'd be a big enough deal to send off for.

8. Quadzilla

Killer review! Exactly what I was looking for!

9. spiritbass

spiritbass

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    Thanks for the replies, guys. Ken - I did the swap myself on my 550B and agree that the effects are subtle. The reason I asked you specifically is that you seem to have a very good analytic ear for these things. :cool: Now I'm waiting to hear what Quad thinks of the Epifani after a gig or two...:D

Ken

10. My ears are pretty good, but I break into a cold sweat every time I unscrew the top of an amp:eek: . Unless it really is significant, I pretty much leave things alone:D

I was interested, so.... I PM'd my buddy Vic, letting him know the updates were available. He's a wiz at all these electronics things, so (don't tell him), I kind of set him up as a guinea pig, knowing that he would do the swap in a minute adn then post about it!!!!!

11. CelinderMotoMan

CelinderMotoMan Inactive

Apr 4, 2007
    Flint, Mi.
    I have had a 502 and now currently own a 550B and I think that the Thunderfunk sounds better, but that is why I sold the 502 in the first place, I didn't like it.

12. Like any amp, it's really subjective. I'm in love with the 502, and it's definitely my workhorse. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine. I'll be interested to hear your thoughts.

13. USAJO

USAJO

Apr 13, 2005
    That's the beauty of having several quality choices. It's even better when you can have hands on experience and find which head fits your ear best. There is no right or wrong answer here. I wish I was in a position to try both the TF and the UL502. For now I'll be happy with my Eden WT-400 and that ain't all that bad either. I do drool every time someone writes about their TF550 or their UL502.

14. LOL! Don't sweat it...I think you will like the 502 juuuuuusssssttttt fine!! I should have your tracking number tomorrow...I don't get them until he (my shipper friend) closes out his day! It should have been picked up at about 5:30 or so this evening....:hyper:

Enjoy!

Peace,

T

15. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    i own the Tfunk and had a chance to try the Epi ul502 and PS600 heads with the PS210 for the first time a couple of days ago. (This stuff if is very rare down here in Melbourne, Aus.

Didn't get to AB with my Tfunk but what impressed me about the Epifani gear is that it was clear and detailed from top to bottom without being harsh at all. Still punchy with a very quick responce though. I'd love to take it out on a gig and AB.

16. Humabass

Humabass Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Might have been my rig John heard? He came to my gig the other night to buy one of my UL112s and said he was really digging the sound I was getting from my PS600/UL310II. I had the same experience with the TFunk, sounded great but after a while it's mid character just grated on me. I don't like overly agressive punchy mids. I tend to dig more of a modern/hifi/vintage sound, if that makes sense. I'm loving my PS600 but sometimes it just doesn't work that well for really loud old school rock but it is a beautifully clean sweet sounding amp. I've thought about updating to the 502 for the second channel and the mid eq....hmmm....

17. Quadzilla

Yes that was you. He totally dug your tone. That is what finally made me pull the trigger. New head should be here Monday or so...

18. jkdahlman

jkdahlman Ambitious But Rubbish

Jul 13, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    It''s true! Humabass has a killer tone happening. :D

19. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Have you tried the PS600 with different cabs? Just wondering.

It makes sense to me. I have a UL and PS cab and tend to like the PS cab a little better.

20. Where'd ya try that Davey? Man, I must keep away from a UL410. I bet I'll want one as soon as I hear one....

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 22, 2021