1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Uh-oh! Tube help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Davidoc, Feb 7, 2003.

1. Is there any way to visually tell a 12ax7 from a 12 au7? Well, I had my Ampeg preamp serviced for buzz a while back, and they replaced 3 of the tubes, including the Au7. I noticed that all the replaced and new tubes have a kind of double stack in the middle... while the au7 has a single stack. I think they replaced the au7 with an ax7. The replacement tubes are totally unlabeled.

Now, I've been experimenting, and there doesn't seem to be a difference between an ax7 and an au7 in that slot, but it's a little disturbing.

I'm sending back to the service center anyway because of a totaly different issue (distortion/weak signal that goes away after a few minutes of being on and only comes back after it's off for a while)

I'm gonna ask these guys when I take it back.

Any advice? What do you think?

2. If you know what brand they are, there MIGHT be a way to tell, but quite frankly if you're not hearing a difference in your sound, don't worry about it. A 12AX7 and a 12AU7 are completely pin compatible so there's so chance of damage from the swap. A 12AX7 has higher gain, that's all.

I'll bet your tubes are Sovtek. Their writing is VERY light and hard to see and they are common for replacements. SLM uses them a bunch. Take another CLOSE careful look at the tubes and see if they don't have some sort of markings.