1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Uh-oh with an ampeg 3 pro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RAT TAT TAT, Dec 7, 2006.

1. I was playing my svt 3 pro through my mark bass 610 and i was playing an old jazz bass copy that my friend had in the rehersal space, and as i was playing it i adjusted myself and the way i was sitting (everyone takes the comfy chairs and leaves me the horrible drum thrones) and apparently the 1/4 jack on the bass was loose, and it kinda moved around and made that horrible loud popping noise and then as i went back to playing it, it sounded as if i had blown pretty much all the speakers at once.. now i was pretty upset cause the cab is brand spankin new. the sound was a very harsh popping and clacking noise everytime you made a peep with the bass. i then tried the amp with the ampeg cabs to see if it was the speakers that were blown, but then those were making the same noise. i then tested a 4 pro through the cabs and everything sounded fine. so at this point i figured out it is deffinatly the amp. after not using it for a few minutes i turned it back on hoping that my problem magically disappeared.. and it did.. for maybe 15 minutes. when the gain and volume are low, im in the clear, but when the volume goes up or the gain goes up at a low volume, i get the clacking. no PLEASE someone tell me im not screwed here and that its something easy like just changing a tube... help?

2. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I would make sure you didn't accidentally use a different instrument or speaker cable in your troubleshooting. You can check the tubes just to see if each one is at least glowing, not that it means all the tubes are ok. There are 4 12AX7's and one 12AU7 (?) driver tube, so you can try switching the 12AX7's around. My instincts tell me you're "screwed", meaning it needs repair that isn't a tube. Hopefully I'm wrong.

3. idealtracks

idealtracks

Dec 18, 2001
    I'd try changing the cord and then change the bass!

4. its not the bass or the instrument cable either.

5. idealtracks

idealtracks

Dec 18, 2001
    Perhaps it's the input jack on the SVT3-pro?

I don't own that amp anymore, but can't you input a signal into the return of the effects loop to test only the power section?

I replaced the input jack on my SVT3-pro myself one time. If I recall correctly, it is saudered directly to the circuit board. I took an input jack that I wasn't using from the backside of the amp (I think it was tuner out) and moved it to the front.

6. Ok, I came to the studio today to see if it was possibly a tube, opened it up.. They looked fine. I closed it up, tried it and still the same thing. I then sat down and smoked some inspiration and then I decided to see if it was the preamp at all so I plugged in to the power section input and it sounded fine.. And then I tried the the amp again (once again hoping the problem disappeared) and it actually did.. I got my new pre and power amp coming in so I don't have to rely on the 3pro, but I don't know at this point, I think I might take it to a shop to give it the once over.