1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Uh oh.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bryan bailey, Jul 29, 2004.

  1. I just blew the tweeter on my cab... :meh:

    It's an Ampeg BSE 410 HLF.

    Anyone else blow up their tweeters in their cabs?
  2. Brendan


    Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    No, and frankly, I wonder how you people do it.
  3. I hope it at least bought you dinner first.
  4. Toasted


    May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Ive done it, but ashdown fixed mine under warrenty.. bwahshshs!
  5. Trevorus


    Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I have blown some protection bulbs in my eden, but that's it. Never blown the tweeter itself. Tough break, dude.
  6. BillyB_from_LZ

    BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

    Sep 7, 2000
    How do you know that you blew the tweeter?

    How was the level control set?

    Don't give up hope yet!!!!
  7. Planet Boulder

    Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man

    Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I know I shouldn't be laughing at this, given that it is so obvious, but I can't help it.

  8. Fred312b

    Fred312b Proof that gear doesn't make you a better player Supporting Member

    Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    y'know, everytime someone posts a "i blew a speaker" or"help me date my gear" post, someone makes a joke like this... and everytime i laugh... :D

  9. Now that I think of it....I think I might have just done that.

    There was a bright flash out of my cab, then nothing.

    There was no huge pop or anything.

    I'll have it looked at.
  10. Lockout


    Dec 24, 2002
    Yeah, you probably just blew the protection circuit bulb... I bet your tweeter is still okay.
  11. You don't need to 'have it looked at', you can do it yourself if you've got a screwdriver. Just remove one of the speakers and find the crossover module...there's a lightbulb (normally a standard automotive bulb you can find at any auto parts store) and that's your tweeter protection. Actually, take the control plate off first, your crossover may be mounted to the control plate. In my Acme's, I'd have to remove a speaker if that ever happens.
  12. Fred312b

    Fred312b Proof that gear doesn't make you a better player Supporting Member

    Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL

    i agree- with my swr's, you just have to take off the control panel and the bulb should be there (i've never blown one so... ). regardless, that's a LOT cheaper and easier fix than a new tweeter.
  13. Jerrold Tiers

    Jerrold Tiers

    Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Sounds like the bulb.

    You will need to look at it, since there are a couple versions.

    One uses a 28V bulb in a socket. its a truck marker lamp bulb, IIRC. Truck stops would have them, maybe larger auto parts stores. There is a lamp number on the lamp base, you just get another one of same number. We select them for the purpose, but in general most will work. Or you can get it from the service dept.

    The newer ones use a soldered-in "dome light" bulb, 36V 54W. Service has them, I am not sure where else to get them.
    Anything of the dome light type you buy elsewhere you will probably have to solder a wire to. the lead wires are an option for OEM volume purchasing.
  14. Christopher


    Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    You have any ideas where I can get one of those 18W 24V protection bulbs? I just did that myself.