Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by doom32x, Apr 16, 2001.

1. doom32x

Apr 10, 2000
    I restringed my bass with flatwounds ( I love them!) and now the E and A strings make a metallic buzz when I hit their open notes, It stops the note and lowers the output. But if I put a finder in between the nut and tuners or press a fret it won't do it? What's wrong with it?
  2. doom32x

Apr 10, 2000
    I meant finger instead of finder.
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Sounds to me like you're using a heavier gauge, (i.e., less distance between the strings and the fretboard).

When you fret a note, your finger(s) are acting sort of like a nut, shortening the distance to the bridge and raising the string off the board.

Then again, it could be because you bought lower tension strings or the way you restrung your bass made the tension looser. Your finger between the nut and the tuning gears is creating more tension on the strings.
  4. David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    maybe try to higher the action (string height) a bit, that could do it.
  5. It sounds like you're describing a classic case of nut rattle. This usually occurs when the tension of a string over the nut is less than optimal and it vibrates in the nut slot. The small amount of tension you introduce to the string with your finger tightens the string over the nut and the rattle stops. Not uncommon at all. Some guys deal with it by filling the offending slot with super glue (until dry) to raise the bottom of the slot. Other times you'll find that the slot is too wide and you have to make some sort of shim to take up the extra width. This can also be caused by not having enough break angle over the nut, allowing the string to vibrate all the way to the tuner to some extent. This is why Fenders have the string button for the D & G strings. You can add a string tree from one of the aftermarket guys and that should cure it completely.

Hope this helps
  6. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Does the headstock on your bass tilt away from the nut? If not, then before you go adding string trees, try rewinding the strings on the tuner posts so the turns fall BELOW the point where the string emerges from the slot on the post. That way, every turn of the string around the post will increase the break angle of the string over the nut.

Wazzat clear?
  7. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    you can always click the "edit/delete this post" icon on top of the message... and correct anything that sounded wrong instead of posting again.... just a tip :)
  8. BassDude24

Sep 12, 2000
    Yo, I would have to say a few things could be entering the equation, poss. all of them, poss. none.

It could be:
    The flats are bigger around
    The flats have greater tension and are pulling on your neck (prob. the case expecially if you replaced an old set of strings)
    It could just be because you changed your strings, I know that when I change my strings my bass gets all pissy, so I adjust it a little.

If I were you I would give it to my local guitar store with a technician I trust, they generally charge like $40-$50 so not a huge expense, and your bass will sound and feel really good, it will prob. be in the shop for like three to four days though.
  9. doom32x

Apr 10, 2000
    Thanks for the help, My dad actually said that the strings didn't have enough break before I saw it here and he restrung my E and A strings, he does it pretty easily with his damn grease monkey wrench grip. Thanks for the edit tip, I didn't think about that. I'm used to the boards on guitar.com.