1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Uh ohs... New bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Visirale, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    Well I've been wanting a simple passive 4 string that I can just play rock with and not really worry about getting messed up. My current band is really straight ahead rock, and it's hard to dial in any of my basses just right because I alwas end up tweaking knobs...

So I got an epiphone thunderbird. I know it's not the best bass, but I love the feel and tone of it. It's just what I want sound-wise. I'm gonna relocate the strap, but to me it already feels really light, although I can tell how neck-dive could be a problem...

So all I'm planning to do at this point is move the strap button and put on a Gibson truss rod cover (call me dumb, stupid, shallow, whatever, I don't care :)).

If I end up really liking it, I'll probably get a real Gibson thunderbird before too long. But this will do for now as my project is about to start gigging heavily and I just want something to thrash around.

And of course, pictures... not great quality, only have my phone at the apartment...

tbird2.

tbird.

2. rhcp32291

rhcp32291

Aug 19, 2007
    Long Island
    Sounds perfect right now. You'll really play the crap out of it and love it just like you would a gibson, but you don't have to baby it. And Im with you on changing the truss rod cover. Honestly I hate when people get bent out of shape over that. Its your bass do what you want. Image isn't a priority but it tends to be important in rock bands, so I hope you really enjoy ittt. :)

3. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

You've said the magic words. That's what it's all about -- the tone, sound and feel of the bass. That's all that matters. If you like it and it gives you and your band what you want, who cares what brand it is.

4. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    Well awesome. I was doing a setup and putting on new strings, and I think the tuning key on my D string broke. It won't hold tension any more...

But hey, might as well throw on some Hipshot ultralights and a d-tuner...

5. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    huge amount of "I love my TBIRD" threads here. as for changing the truss rod cover...noone ever says anything when they see my headstock that doesn't say Epiphone on it.
    P1010055.

my EPI does what it does because I make it do what I want it to do, and if she gets pissy with me, I just beat on the strings harder, until she is whipped into submission, and those god-awful sounding pickups have such an out of the box unique tone, there is a ton of stuff PERFECT for that.

all that aside, whether used or new, for 300 or less, It works :D

6. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    Took it by GC today and they fixed it back up, no problem.

Now I just got to figure out how to get it to sound cleaner through my rig!