Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Uh... pardon me I think I need a towel

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bigfeet, Jun 18, 2002.

1. OK, a few days I tried out a really cool synth module at the Guitar Center. The Novation A-Station, I fell inlove with its sound while playing around with it in the store... I thought, "Okay, time to get a synth driver so I can use this thing for my bass." I did some heavy research into this product including downloading and reading the manual page to page, and it has some amaizing features.

A hybrid digital/analog interface where voicing amps and effects are digital, but the filter section is analog. That's pretty nifty. Another interesting feature is the filter is subsonic, with frequencies going all the way down to 5Hz and up to 10kHz. That should be useful for bass synth. Its voice mixing system is pretty nice, it includes two oscillators, pink and white noises, LFO sources and a Ring Modular. All leading into two amps plus effects. All this really rounding out to a great vintage like synth... But the thing that really caught my eye was this; as well as midi inputs it also features an analog input for guitar and bass instrument. Needless to say, when I found this out the results were a bit more than orgasmic. I'm going to the music store this weekend to try it out with bass, if I like it (and I'm sure I will) it's going to be my next buy for sure. They run around ($US)500 but it looks like it's more than worth it.

[​IMG]

2. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Boy,have you got my interest. I would really like to know if it can get Oberheim-like strings via bass!

3. What ever happened with yer fancy homebrew synth? Same idea, no? Digital oscillator with an analog filter?
    So..I could stick this in my rack and just use it in lieu of my Korg G5 say...?

4. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Now THAT'S pretty sweet...in theory. Be sure to let us know how it sounds (and tracks) via the analog input when you've had a chance to play with it!

5. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    I love Novation synths!! I would buy a Supernova II keyboard in a second if I had the dough...

They have the best user interfaces of all the Virtual Analog synths, imo.

If you liked the A-Station, see if you can get your hands on an Access Virus Rack... It's the polar opposite of the Novation sound -- hard, gritty and nasty (where the Novation is smooth and round)...

http://www.access-music.de/

Or the Waldorf Micro-Q! The big Q is the king of VA synths out there right now, imo... but they ain't cheap!!

http://www.waldorf-music.com/products/

6. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    For a fairly gritty tone out of a Novation, Colin in Radiohead uses a Novation Bass Station synthon the song Climbing Up The Walls. This is my idea for a truly squelchy, analog sounding synth!

7. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    GREAT song! Funny you mention it, I listened to it on the way to work yesterday! :)

It is squelchy - but the Bass Station is a true analog synth... Novation's newer synths (Nova, Supernova, etc) are digitally modelled "virtual analog" and they don't get as squelchy, to my ears.

I think it's really cool that Novation has put real analog filters into the A-Station... and it looks like Waldorf has followed suit with their Q+. Waldorf used to make some killer rackmount analog filters, but they don't appear on the product page anymore...

8. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    OK, that's what I thought, so why would any bassist want anything other than the Bass Station? It seems to be the best posible synth for bass :D

9. Because you can't plug your bass directly into the bass station :p;)

10. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    But you can plug it into the Super Bass Station! :D

11. UH... *falls off chair*

I did not know that :eek:

12. APouncer

APouncer

Nov 3, 2000
    Lancashire, UK
    I've tried plugging my bass directly into the supe Bass Station and couldn't get anything. I looked in the manual :confused: so I phoned the company who distribute them in UK and they weren't much more help.

Maybe I'm a dunce :( but could someone give me an idiot guide to getting a synth sound out of 1 of these with my bass please?

Thanks to my techy buddies!

13. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Sorry to sound practical but uhh...how much would you use a deal like that?

14. ...quite a bit actually, even if I don't use it as an effect, I can use it as a synthesizer with my midi keyboard. Wise ***.

15. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    Have you made sure that the SOURCE switch is set to EXT? And that the LEVEL knob is turned up, while the OSC LEVEL is turned all the way down?

16. I don't get it. You're all telling me I can just plug my bass into a synth module then into my rig and it's going to work like a big multi-effector or something??? Que?

17. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    Well, with some synths, yes.

If you plug into something like the A-Station, you can use the external audio input to feed your bass through (1) the synth's filters/envelopes; and (2) the synth's built-in effects.

Not all synths with audio inputs have effects, though (such as the SuperBassStation).

EDIT: I should also note that many synths' multi-effects leave a lot to be desired. Novation does have some good delays and reverbs in theirs, and the Access Virus has some of the best effects I have EVER heard, anywhere.

Also, just to clarify --- you can't trigger the synth's oscillators by plugging your bass into the external audio input. That input bypasses the oscillators and run into the synth's filter section.

18. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Its a good thing we make guys like this moderator around here...:rolleyes:
    Here I thought they were supposed to be setting an example for the younger TBers.

I was just asking a question...no need to get your wanna-be-goth panties in a wad.

19. You do know you don't have to post in a thread if you don't like the topic, don't you? We get allot of flaming in effects from clean freaks. Plus all these tired personal attacks on my chosen lifestyle are really making me sick, when you know me on a personal level you can all tell me what I am or what I’m doing wrong. I don't care what you think of me at all (well obviously I do), and if this weren’t over the internet you wouldn't be acting like this. Just because you doubt the reality or don’t have to worry about physical confrontation from the person on the other side doesn't mean you should leave cowardice or inhibitions behind.