Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Uh... what the hell?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Matt Till, Dec 2, 2004.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    This is just weird.

The other day, I was so sick that I slept for 14 hours, but the last two hours weren't sleep, but... music.

It was absolutely silent, but in my head I was listening to two straight hours of really strange odd time signature riffs, floaty "stoner rock" elements over it, strings, occasional horns. It was this one continous two hour song that was absolutely brilliant! I loved it, but couldn't possibly reproduce it. Or maybe someone put a Yes album on just to screw with me. ;)

It was like heavy Yes, mixed with monster magnet, mixed with Primus, mixed with Mesuggah. AKA the greatest music ever! I want to buy the album that my head produced for me and listen to it every day.

So my new favorite band is my head with their one song two hour album, "Damn, I'm sick."

Why can't I be as good as my head is? I can map out complicated string arrangements in my head, I can hear stuff that I want (my sick brain proved it to me) but I need to be album to transcribe it somehow. I suppose this is where theroy comes in.

And once again to restate: I don't do drugs.

2. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    So....you were listening to Opeth?? :p

3. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    i honestly can't say anything except 'you go matt till!!".

4. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    You should video record your fretting hand to see if you were air-bassin' it and fretted out the notes.

5. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Does your college have a music school/department? If it does, see if they have a class called sightsinging, or something like it. It's required to be taken for 4 semesters as a music major here at Ithaca, but see if you are able to take it. It doesn't really have anything to do with singing, it is really all about ear training. After just one semester of this course, I have already been able to see (hear?) a huge increase in my hearing ability. I am able to transcribe music and dictate what I hear so much better than I ever could before, and I can hear music in my head by just looking at it on paper. The class could really help you develop your ear. Having an ear for this kind of thing isn't a gift that some lucky people are born with, its a skill that any musician can develop, it just takes the right guidance and practice. A sightsinging course (or something like that) is just what you need.

6. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I arranged a piece for a string quartet once in my sleep. No, seriously, I woke up, and it was on paper beside me (I keep it there for visual/musical things durning the night). I gave it to my High School band director and he made something of it. It was cool...

Ray

7. I woke up mysteriously one night after an acid trip with this brilliant guitar riff in my head. I knew that this riff would change the world and make me a star. I wrote it down and went to playing it. Then it hit me, my three chord key to success was way to familliar. Then i realized that it was smoke on the water. So i ate some triskets and went back to sleep.

8. hahaha thats awesome. I've been trying with out much luck to write some lryics down but i've scrapped everything i've written yet i come up with some good lines just as i'm falling alseep unfourately i forget them by the time i wake up(i usally have very vivid dreams that i think are real and take me a while to realize there not)

9. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    man, you guys get the good stuff up there

10. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I had a dream that I met Scooby Doo, then some guy came over and ripped him to pieces. This was when I was 8.

Needless to say, Matt Till's Head is welcome to play in my dreams any time they want a gig (that sounds so naughty)...

11. JTbass

JTbass

Jul 2, 2004
    Asutin TX
    every once in a while i can hear realy great music in my head. its usualy while im trying to go to sleep. and most of the times that it has happened to me ive been stoned or drunk and just laying in bed waiting for sleep. i can hear the whole song and im adding great drum fills and improvising these great bass lines. but its all in the moment, i cant remember it later and is so complex that i cant seem to recreate it.

but i think i know just what Matt is talking about and its realy cool when it hapens.

12. Once, I was writing a song and couldn't find something to rime with a sentence... I had a few possibilities but nothing very good.. so I try to get some sleep and wake up 4 hours later with the perferct words to fit in the song...

that was kind of cool too.

13. I once experienced something similar. :cool:

It was black metal with horns. :bassist:

It was drug-induced. :oops:

14. suicas

suicas

Mar 12, 2004
    UK
    Happened to me quite a few times.

Each time it's been set off by having waaaaay too little sleep. Happened most during the final year of my degree just before exams or coursework deadlines.

The time I remember most vividly was after being awake for 40 hours working on some coding project, living off pizza and diet coke.

When I finally rolled into bed, I couldn't sleep (combination of caffeine and mind still in concentration mode from working), lay there for about 2 hours listening to non-stop multi-instrument compositions in my head. Had some direction in controlling it, but for the most part it just flowed along while I observed.

15. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
  16. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I know exactly what you are talking about. It's that point right before you sleep where you are in a semi concious state, your mind is just working overtime. I can create whole songs in my head, when I wake up I can never reproduce them. There is a term for this kind of technique. But some people actually do this all the time, I guess it's a form of meditation. I heard Kieth Richards wrote Satisfaction doing the same thing, but he had a guitar, amp and tape recorder near his bed to capture the riff.

17. DemoEtc

DemoEtc

Aug 18, 2004
    It happened to me a long time ago and was one of the reasons I picked up an instrument and tried to play that first time. Since then I've come to think that perhaps not everything we hear in our heads *has* to be brought out or repeated. Maybe it's too pure to be brought into the world and then used - how? To make money off of?

Yah, like that's the end all.

Maybe we can just lay there and enjoy it for what it is and once again be shown that music is bigger than we are and we're maybe not in control of it - AND, don't have to be :)

18. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    This is odd... I was waking up this morning hearing Nirvana outtakes and demos in my head. I have never heard any of this stuff before. Strange.

Not everybody hears beautiful music upon waking. :bag:

19. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    when waking up, i hear my Rottie begging to get fed and go out for a tinkle. if i sleep in, i get to hear him pissing on the floor.

20. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    It seems like my dog usually gets woken up by me. She likes to sleep in. Yesterday I was in our master bathroom getting ready with the light on and I looked out at her and she was sleeping with her head under the bed skirt and her body sticking out because the light was too bright and she wanted to keep sleeping...lazy mutt. :)

brad cook