Uhg, not feeling good about upcoming gig

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by cjgallen, May 23, 2003.

1. cjgallen

Oct 19, 2001
    I have a gig Friday night, and I'm not feeling to good about it.

It's a club we played at before with a bunch of other "hardcore" or metal bands (whatever you want to call it). This time we have a lot of the same bands (some of which are really good).

Anyway, we have a new singer, and he sounds loads better than our last one, but he hasn't got a damn lyric memorized, so he's gonna bring his notebook on stage with him (kind of embarrassing).

But the thing is, our setlist is really short...and I don't think any of the other band members realise it. It's even shorter than last time, and last time was embarrassing when we finished in 25 minutes and people were expecting more songs.

We have two songs that are DEFINITE crowd winners. At the last show, when we played our first song, someone in the crowd actually yelled "I F***ING LOVE THAT SONG!" and the other good song has a REALLY fast mosh pit type chorus. But sadly, we will be performing NEITHER of these songs at today's gig :(

Here's the brilliant setlist developed by the guitarists (I gave suggestions, but they ignored me):

-Intro song (barely a song)
    -Semi-good Song
    -Song with a bass solo that I hate playing
    -Not-so-good boring song
    -Another song MAYBE (I don't know if the new singer wrote lyrics for any of our other songs)
    -Outro song where guitarist#1 and the singer plan on jumping in the crowd and moshing while the rest of us play (the song isn't even finished so it's gonna be awkward when we're suppose to stop)

These songs are SHORT too, so we'll be in and out in 20 minutes tops, which barely justifies us showing up.

And on top of that, guitarist#1 plans on using his brand new whammy pedal during the show in places where he thinks "it sounds cool" (it doesn't).

We've practiced almost every day this week, and I swear, the guitarists are getting worse and worse, and are making mistakes where they never made mistakes before :(

AND THE GUITARISTS WANTED TO TRY AND SELL T-SHIRTS TOO!!! Gawd, we don't even have a CD to sell (not a good one anyways), and they wanted me to pitch in money for band t-shirts. I said NO, so we didn't get any t-shirts.

I'm going to print out this thread and show it to them. They'll probably just blow it off or threaten to kick me out, which I wouldn't mind at this point.

There are gonna be some GOOD bands there, with real musicians whom I have a lot of respect for. I just know we're gonna be remembered as "that crappy band that opened for so-and-so."

GIMME ADVICE PLEASE!!!! :bawl:
  2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Step 1.
    Quit sucky band.
    Step 2.
    Join better band.
  3. cjgallen

Oct 19, 2001
    Back when the band first started, the drummer and I would pretty much write the songs, and he basically told what the guitarists to play. Then he would whip out sweet drum beats like nothing. It was great because I felt like I was working with a real musician.

But he's over in Iraq right now, so the band has been downhill ever since he left. The guitarists can't write songs worth poo, and the replacement drummer is just loud and annoying.

Maybe I should quit. I know exactly what would happen:

I quit.
    They beg me to come back.
    I say no.
    They search for a replacement.
    Replacement sucks and/or realises that THEY suck and quits.
    Then Guitarist #1 uses his whammy pedal to play down an octave....and he thinks it sounds good.

It's kinda sad really.
  4. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    So, play the gig to the best of your ability, including nailing the bass solo, and hang around with the other bands. Maybe one of them has a bass player who's about to leave or isn't up the job and you could find a new vacancy. Even if you just find a couple of people to jam with informally, you will still be moving forward...

5. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Sounds like you really don't want to be there.

I'd say play the gig and start looking for other musical options. I've been in this situation before and trust me, if you feel this way now, it won't be too long before everyone is at everyone's throats.
  6. cjgallen

Oct 19, 2001
    I suppose I can just suck it up and play. If we crash and burn, it makes it that much easier to quit.

I'm putting a "for sale" sign on my Avatar 1x15 so maybe I can get SOMETHING out of tonights performance :)
  7. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Don't just play - play as well as you can. This might be the 'audition' for your next group.

ps. 'as well as you can' means use the bass to give the song a chance of sounding good... not just trying to play as hard and fast as you can.
  8. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    I go tree tings to say:

Don't under estimate the power of a short set. People get bored easily, the longer you're on stage the more likely they are to get bored of you!
    When my rock/metal band started out we insisted on not headlining any gigs - even when promoters offered us headlines off the back of our demo we turned it down to play centre or opening slots.
    Why - because if you go on first and give a great performance then the other bands have a tough act to follow and the audience remembers you, while the audience expects more from a headline act.

wulf is right, you should play your best, but not because this could be your next audition, but for yourself, for your own rewards.

If you play bad, you feel bad right? But if you play bad because you didnt make the effort, you'll feel whole lot worse I guarantee you. It's about personal integrity - it's about being abel to say "we played sh1t, but I did my very best - it wasnt me that let the side down".
    Sounds like a very non team spirited view point in some respects, but the way I see it is if they dont want to put in the hours to make the band good then you move on.

I quit a band recently - it was all close mates and i joined for about a year. They had great songs, fantastic energy and were all great guys, but they didnt practice out of rehearsal, ever.
    So in a year we hadnt really progressed.

I'm at a stage now where I expect myself to be ready to gig in 3 or 4 rehearsals with a band - doing straight ahead rock/pop stuff at least.
    These guys took a year to build the set and in that time it was dragging me down, big time. I wasnt developing in that band and it was doing my head in.

You are getting up no stage in front of load of people. If you're not comfortable because you feel the other band members will let you down then you need get out. You must be able to rely on the other musicians.

Dont stay in a sh1t band. You're not a charity! :)
  9. cjgallen

Oct 19, 2001
    I always play my best, I can't stand sucking. Sometimes I'm so focused I hardly move around on stage, whereas the guitarists are busy "going nuts" as they call it :rolleyes: It's kinda funny when they unplug themselves, because they look down at their guitar like it's the guitar's fault :D

Thanks guys, you've given me a lot to think about. I'll let you know how it goes.
  10. cjgallen

Oct 19, 2001
    Well, went better than I thought.

Our old singer was there, so he was really cool and did one of our good songs with us, and the crowd went nuts. Kinda made us regret kicking him out :( So that filled in a little more time.

The other songs went ok, nailed my solo.

Guitarist#1 brought his whammy and used it ONCE (sounded crappy, but at least he only used it once :D )

On the outro, it got towards the end (the part I had never heard), and I managed to improv a sweet bassline just going up and down the C minor scale. Guitarist#1 was very impressed, and that absolutely made my day.

The crowd seemed to like it...so...damnit, I guess I'll have to stick with the band for a while.

The sound guy was awesome too, so that helped a lot. My WT-400 was barely cranked up, and the fan never came on.

And every bassist there was playing a Fender :D Gotta represent!
  11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Who names your songs? Adam Sandler?
  12. :D :D

(ummmm... who gave you that screen name, Jeff Probst from "Survivor"????) :D

"And now, here's our new tribe... MUNJIBUNGA!!!!!" :D
  13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    ... if only you knew ...
  14. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000

Step 3. Repeat step 1 as many times as need be until you complete step 2.