Uhh.... heh?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mike Money, Sep 2, 2003.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Are there any satellites orbitting north and south? Because I swear to god, I just saw one going north and south... I waited a few minutes to see if I would see it again... and I did.

Is orbitting that way even possible?
  2. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    It was going north and south at the same time?? :eek: :D

Anyway - yeah, that's totally possible. In fact, many satellites do - or at least a little. Think about it - if you wanted a satellite to cover 45 degrees north, you'd have to angle the orbit so that it make it up to that lattitude at least. You couldn't have one just orbit over the 45th parallel - otherwise you could extend that logic and have one "obiting" the north pole - standing still! and of course that's not possible.

So I believe most low-earth orbit satellites have oblique orbits (meaning they don't just circle the equator). Only geostationary orbits must go around the equator - and they're so high (25,000 miles, versus 300 or so miles for low-earth orbit) that you can still see them from any latitude.
  3. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
  4. nah it was a UFO. little green aliens will take u home and do "things" to you...

5. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    yeah dude, watch out for them aliens... they didn't take me home.....

speaking of aliens-has anyone ever seen that movie about this one cool kid named "Flash" who is forced to go to summer camp as a juvinile punishment, and theres this alien who goes to summer camp also, and he wears a raincoat, and he sleeps out in the outhouse???
  6. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Whenever the talk of sattalites overhead, I think of the Devo song: "Spacejunk".
  7. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    yes polar orbits are nothing new.
  8. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

This needed to be returned to earth orbit according to Nick Gann.

NJL's relatives are in North South orbits ...

They walk North, we drive'em back ... ;)
  9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    you said things hu hu hu
  10. Dont make me show you where they did the Things.............. :eek:

11. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Indeed, as Phat Ham said, polar orbits are nothing new at all.

...and this...

...what's the score now?

12. Thor

Not sure, we are still working on it. :D
  13. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Holy thread resurrection! What's this, like a 5 year interval, gotta either be a record or close to one!

(I'm not bettin' on the messycan, by the way...)
  14. Thor

Mike had some great threads when he was younger...
  15. ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    When I was little I rarely ever saw satellites. Spotting one was a very rare occasion.
    Now they are all over the place up there! Even see the space station every so often.

What's weird is when one is going along and all of a sudden it takes a hard right or left. Haven't figgered those ones out