Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Guest User, Jul 30, 2005.

1. Guest User

Guest User

Apr 3, 2005
    ok i have a hartke 250 head and a 300 hartke cab (paper cones).

i remember when i had a decision to get this or a Behringer....

they always said hartke would be much better..so i went with what they said (which was stupid because I didnt know then what sound i wanted), and maybe to some people they are better.

but ive been playing on this little behringer something 600(combo, not 600watt) but it has no where the amount of watts as my hartke, but i like the sound the behringer gives..in a weird way, i can get the sound i want but it sounds good.(it gets a clean sound with slapping/popping and can give a deep sound too.)

i think the reason is that my hartke has paper cones, and the behringer is aluminum. i know they arent the best companies, but Im starting to think i should of got the behringer or atleast took a look at it first before everyone said that hartke was better.

what the hell should i do? stay with the soft hartke? or take a look at the versitile behringer ive been playing on.

the behringer seems like it can make alot of different types of playing sounds.

thanks, anyone got any ideas?
  2. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    the best thing to do if you really aren't sure what sound you want is to play as many different cabs and combos as you can BEFORE buying. sadly, some decisions you will make will occour AFTER you buy something, but one thing i've learned was NEVER BUY just on recommentadion, unless you can afford to blow money. some choices will not be apparent until you've played your setup for a while. Thats just the reality of equipment experience.
  3. peavey used
    that or if you want to try someting different check out yorkville amps, theyre a great bang for the buck
  4. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    First things first, take your head (unless they stock your head) and bass to some local shops. Try your head with as many different cabs as possible. If you still can't get a tone your happy with then its time to change heads.

Also, if they stock your cab, try different heads into it. Doing these head and cab comparisions will tell you which one is holding you back or that you need a totally new setup.
  5. Thats the way to go !
  6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

I agree with the notion of looking at different cabs by using your own head..

...if you're not going to do that, and you're sold on the aluminum cone cabs, I'd suggest a different route. Find yourself a nice used Hartke cab. The XL's are better than the Transporters, but my opinion is that they're both better than the Behringers. You should be able to find plenty of Hartke stuff at a good price on the used market, as tons of people play it.

This situation doesn't surprise me. Hartke from the start put itself behind the aluminum cone design, that's what they specialized in, so I've never thought that the notion of paper cones from them made much sense.
  7. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    First of all, go with what you like...as stated- try a bunch of different stuff in your price range. I also agree about trying some different cabs first.

Behringer is quite the heated topic around here, alot of different opinions about their stuff. I personally don't like it. I'd stick with Hartke over behringer. Once again just my opinion. My buddies got a hartke 215xl cab thats awesome. Its a monster cab.

Another great bang for the buck brand is Ashdown. Thats what I'd be looking at in that price range. You can pick up a Mag 300h new for around $300.
  8. Guest User

Guest User

Apr 3, 2005
    thanks for the ideas i should of taken advice here before i bought anything :\

i will take my head into a store and plug it in on a bunch of cabs, and if i can get the sound i want with the same head but different cab, then i will look for trading it in for a cab with different cones maybe aluminum.