Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Uhmmm Portrait of Tracy?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Matt Till, Sep 12, 2002.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    http://home.swipnet.se/~w-62115/jaco/noter/portraitoftracy.html

Is that a decent transcription of Portrait of Tracy? Because I really want to learn it and I noticed that I'm steering away from tabs a lot lately. I don't totally disaprove of them, but my roomate and I were talking to this freshman kid and he said he played guitar, and my roomate asked him, "Do you know your chords." And he replied, "You mean like 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5." We were like no, then my roomate was like, you know, multiple notes together, and he was like no. I thought that was kinda funny. Not an interesting story, but kinda funny. So? Is this Sheet Music good?

2. fadlan bassman

fadlan bassman

Oct 23, 2001
    Austin,Tx
    ouch, are those harmonics or what? (the little half moon with a dot above the note)

3. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    The 'half moon' is a fermata, about which Dictionary.com says:

1. The prolongation of a tone, chord, or rest beyond its indicated time value.
    2. The sign indicating this prolongation.

At that point, you lay off counting and hold the note for what seems like an appropriate amount of time.

The notes with diamond shaped heads are harmonics (although it's a little hard to make out which are which at that resolution). For example, the first note is the harmonic above the fifth fret on the G string, not the fretted note at the 24th fret on the G string. Both have the same pitch but different timbres (tones).

If you haven't learnt to read harmonics in standard notation, you may find it useful to also have a tabbed copy of Portrait... to hand, as well as a copy of the recording to listen to.

Wulf

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    But more importantly... decent transcription?

5. Pharmecopia

Pharmecopia

Jul 31, 2002
    i dont think that one was very good ... theres a book called essential jaco pastorius(??) that i saw at a local music shop, and it looked a lot better.

6. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    But doesnt that book have the tablature under the notation

7. Pharmecopia

Pharmecopia

Jul 31, 2002
    can anyone teach me how to play the D sharp harmonic? :confused: :rolleyes:

8. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    See my recent posting in the tab forum for the hard way and the easy way to do this.. but weren't you already there :rolleyes:

Wulf