1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

UK 2nd Hand bass's

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Jobiebass, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Jobiebass

Jobiebass

Feb 25, 2008
    I can find 1000's in america, but I cant find any decent or any kind of seach to find the bass I want in the UK. Im sure there will the bass i want out there somewhere in a shop, but im finding it so hard.

Ive checked the clasified's online, been on ebay, where is the best place to buy a 2nd hand Bass in England????????

2. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    It depends.

The guys on www.basschat.co.uk sell gear and if you're lucky, you might get a good deal. Be careful though, as with shopping anywhere over the net.

3. Jobiebass

Jobiebass

Feb 25, 2008
    Thats not too bad I suppose. at least they are in england. Not much choice though. ill keep looking, but thanks.

4. Is there a specific make you are looking for?

There are quite a few places that are dealers for some of the fancier brands. But your not going to get everything under one roof.

5. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    I've bought four basses,including a few rare/expensive ones on ebay without problems.

Searching EU-Wide is always worthwhile. There's no import tax/vat to pay from those countries, and shipping is rarely more than from the UK. Obvously you've got to be a little carefull shopping online, but the UK is no safer (or easier) than buying from countries like Germany or France (one of my basses came from ebay Germany).

Another of my basses came from the US (again via ebay). Here the shipping is higher, and you need to at 10% import and 17.5% vat (making about 30% total) on both the price AND shipping, but it can still work out cheaper than an EU purchase, as US prices can be half EU prices.

Just because you're in the UK doesn't mean you have to buy FROM the UK.

Ian

6. Jobiebass

Jobiebass

Feb 25, 2008
    Im after a MM HH 4 Stingray, but I really dont wanna pay more then £650 for one. not really fussed on colour as long as its not green. natural would be nice.
    And I want one in pretty good condition.

Seen loads around but they are all singular pickup and I really want the double pickups. bidding on one on ebay but yet again its only a single pickup which I dont really want.

Been offered exactly what I want from Canada but even with dodgy tax dodges its gonna be £800. There is a BEAUTIFUL 5 stringer Blue Dawn on Ebay.co.uk for £800 but once again, single pickup and I dont think im quite ready for a 5er although my first bass was a 5er.

I suppose its gonna take some time to find, but ive got money burning thru my pocket and id prefer to get it now before I blow my wage on Alcohol and cigarettes.

7. For £650, you arent going to get a used HH. You would have to look at £800 minimum (its starting to get harder to get a single pup 'ray for under £800 used). I mine cost the equivilant of about £700 each (They were bought as a pair tho, and thats the cheapest ive seen them ever over here)

My local Sound Control had a HH 'ray in for a while. If you are wanting to try one out, might be worth a shot. Then you know if you want it or not. The great thing about EB's is they are very very consistent. So your chances of getting a bad one are very low. So you arent taking too much of a risk if you buy from the US or whatnot.

Also, dont go down the tax-dodge route, your just asking for trouble. When looking at anything outside the EU, add 20%. Thats a pretty good rough way of doing it.

Also, if you are really wanting the special colours, it will probably cost a bit more.

Can still understand why you want one tho . . . they are nice:
    P1010017-1.

:smug:

Have you considered about the dual pickup OLP models?

[​IMG]

8. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Nice basses you have there!

9. Thanks, wish I could play well enough to justify having them, but I dont complain!

(any excuse to whore the pictures about . . . )

10. Jobiebass

Jobiebass

Feb 25, 2008
  11. stoo

stoo

Nov 10, 2003
    A friend of mine bought a new Stingray 5 a while back.

It was cheaper for him to fly from Manchester to London to New York and back so that he could buy a bass in the USA than it would have been to get one from the UK. :eyebrow:

The OLP stuff is well worth considering though... For that £650 you could have a 4 string AND a 5 string, both the newer twin pickup active models - and have enough left over to get them both a fret level & setup if they need it. (Mine did)

Rather annoyingly though - I find the neck pickup to be more of a hindrance than a help... I seem to catch my fingers on it a lot unless I wind it right down flush with the pickguard. :(

12. Jobiebass

Jobiebass

Feb 25, 2008
    Yeah I can believe that, new online they are $1600 (£800) or from the UK £1200 ($2400)

Im sure I could buy a plane ticket for america for £400 and get a free ride out of it.

Might wait till I go to florida in summer and see if I can pick one up then.

But totaly this is totaly off subject...

Wheres the best place to find 2nd hand bass's in the UK?????

13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Well - the thing is - what if you do have problems? So shipping is already quite high and if the bass is damaged or not what you wer lead to believe - what do you do? It's going to cost you a lot, if it has to go back and forward to get it sorted out...:meh:

Personally I wouldn't want to take the risk of buying something as expensive as a bass without playing it and seeing it first..I'd always rather pay a little extra for the security of knowing I can take it back to the seller and sort out any "issues"...?

14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Unfortunately - the market has gone into decline and eBay/Internet shopping etc. has killed off shops! :(

5-10 years ago I could take a morning to visit the Bass Centre in London and know that I would be able to try dozens of used, high-end, basses - like Yamaha TRBs, Tobias,Ken Smith,Status, Wal, Sadowsky etc etc.

Sadly those days are gone!